Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Dry fly wings

From Souderton PA
Quote:

shortrod2 wrote:
Quote:

jeremymcon wrote:
How important are a dry fly's wings to catching fish, anyway? They're definitely aesthetically pleasing when tied right, but they're a little tricky to tie.

Datus Proper, suggests that the hackle-fly design (catskill without wings) is usually very effective.

Thanks for bringing this up Shortrod2. That book has to be the best I've read on flyfishing for trout. Datus Proper wrote beautifully and clearly in a unbiased fashion about the design of flies. He does write that under certain conditions the no hackle fly can be effective, but also makes the point that many times switching to a winged fly makes the difference, especially with dark winged duns. He goes a step further though, and I think this really shows his brilliance, to point out that there is no such thing as a wingless dry because there is always going to be something protruding above the plane of the hook (ie hackle). This point is my own extrapolation of what Proper wrote: on a light winged dun, adding a wing could theoretically present a less natural profile!
Jack's comment about confidence should be the tyers first lesson. I wing most of my dries, but I do it because I like doing it (it gets easy after the first 100 dozen) and I have confidence in my flies. I imagine the trout sees the fly in a certain way and base my designs on that imagined theory. However, I don't presume to know what's going on in the head of a fish.
Mike.

Posted on: 3/9 11:02

From PA and NH
The logic that I've come to believe about winged dries regardless of material relates to the cone of vision of a trout and the presumption that the first thing entering the field of vision is the wing on a dun and the reason I make mine a bit taller than suggested in many manuals. The other factor is how the wing affects the cast, the stiffer materials present resistance and sometimes corkscrew your leader. I love a woodduck wing for appropriate mayflies but my second choice is the tips of dun colored hen back feathers, they fold back enough in the air to allow for a better presentation.

Posted on: 3/9 11:32

From Jersey Shore, PA
The wings on the Sulphur dun are hen back feathers cut to shape with a scissors. When using the natural barbules for the leading edge of the wing the stem is angled back. This has the wing pushed back on the cast and the wing doesn't cause a twist in a leader tippet. I fish #18 dries on 7x and don't have a problem.

Posted on: 3/10 19:39

I use this standard to get the location for my wings... Start your thread at the eye, wrap half way down the shank and then wrap half way back up.

After you tie in lift your wing up with your fingers and see where it will set once up righted. You may find you have wondered a little from your original tie in point. If so make the correction.

Always always take your time and go back if needed. I find proportions are one of the hardest things to master when tying flys. Nothing I hate more than tying a fly, looking it over and not liking the way something looks...wing too long ,tail to short ECt

Posted on: 3/22 9:59

From Ferguson Twp.
I'm the same way, I keep a check on proportions as I'm tying if something looks a little off kilter I back up and do it again. My thinking is if you're tying say a size 14 and the tail and wings are just a touch too big then really you're tying a 12 on a 14 hook. I like my ties whether it's dries or nymphs or whatever to be size related to what I'm tying it on. So when I lay out in a line five different sizes of flies I need them to be and look like five different sizes of flies. Maybe that's being too anal but I can't help it, if I don't like the looks of a fly after tying it it never makes it out of the vise. I strip it and start again.

Posted on: 3/22 14:04

Lol I'm the same way... I hate myself for it but can't help it. If its not up to my standards when done i take a blade to it! I would make a terrible production tyer

Posted on: 3/22 18:19

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com