Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Dry fly wings

From Jersey Shore, PA
Sorry, must be to large of a file and I don't know how to size to fit.

Posted on: 3/3 13:55

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:

As for adding wings to mayflies - I still think it's a good thing to do. Part of the enjoyment of tying IMO, is creating a fly to look the best it can be. Just for my satisfaction, and even if it's true that the fish really couldn't care less - which I have some doubts about.

I'm with this line of thought. I really feel that a big part of success with a fly is confidence and the better it looks the more confidence I have in it. Now that very well could be just a mental thing but that's how I feel about it. Except for the wings being a touch long the one on the top left looks pretty nice I think.

Posted on: 3/3 14:06

From NW Pa
Jeremy...

Eric Leiser's "Book of Fly Patterns" has an excellent page of photos showing the underwater views of various flies and their different tying styles. It is really eye opening to see the images from this perspective and what role "wings" play from the trout's vantage point.

Everything from Comparadun, Catskill, Parachute, to no hackle is portrayed in these photos from the underwater view. Quite interesting when you can see the impact of the style not only on the wing inclusion, but also the thorax and abdomen result of the various tying styles.

If you can, find someone who may have a copy of this book to review, or visit your local bookstore and browse through it....it would be a worthwhile investment.

Posted on: 3/3 14:28

From NW Pa
Jeremy...

Eric Leiser's "Book of Fly Patterns" has an excellent page of photos showing the underwater views of various flies and their different tying styles. It is really eye opening to see the images from this perspective and what role "wings" play from the trout's vantage point.

Everything from Comparadun, Catskill, Parachute, to no hackle is portrayed in these photos from the underwater view. Quite interesting when you can see the impact of the style not only on the wing inclusion, but also the thorax and abdomen result of the various tying styles.

If you can, find someone who may have a copy of this book to review, or visit your local bookstore and browse through it....it would be a worthwhile investment.

Posted on: 3/3 14:28

Marinaro, in 'In the Ring of the Rise', was the first I am aware of that did the imaging with silhouettes of insects on the water. He was very big on wings which lead to the development of the thorax dry fly,which is very different than the modern day incarnation. I think wings have their place, but the need for them decreases as the size of the fly decreases. I use them for the same reasons most of you stated but do not feel they are necessary.

Ironically, Fox's sulfur pattern has no wings. Cream tail, cream dubbing, three hackles: cream, ginger, light dun. I have been tying and using that pattern since I was sixteen some 20 plus years ago on the LeTort and all of our other limestoners and it is as effective as any other pattern I have ever used. If a fly catches fish on the LeTort it will work anywhere.

Posted on: 3/3 22:23

From Lewistown, PA
Quote:

OldLefty wrote:
Sorry, must be to large of a file and I don't know how to size to fit.

No problem. I was hoping maybe you'd upload a picture of a dry fly with a post wing like I described. Resizing images can be tricky. I'll have to try that anyway and see how it looks.

Posted on: 3/3 22:29

From Lilly, PA
I struggle with sizing my wings also using duck and deer hair. I found that for most flies, tying with poly, keeping the wings long, and trimming to size is the easiest method. Getting the splits right is hard for me as well. I strip alot of flies back off the hooks before they hit the fly box becasue I am not happy with the finished product.

Posted on: 3/3 22:56

From Lewistown, PA
Gave it another shot this morning. I actually found some bronze mallard feathers in my tying stuff! Not really sure what I would have bought them for - maybe tails on nymphs or something. So these two are tied with that. I think I'm getting closer. The one on the right in this picture needs more fibers in the wing - it kind of got lost in the hackle. Left one is getting closer.

Resized Image

I was also reading about thorax style dry flies, and apparently it is standard for that style of fly to just have a single wing - usually made from a turkey flat (whatever that is). So I feel a little better about my single poly wings on these sulfurs:

Resized Image

Posted on: 3/4 11:16

From Lancaster Co.
Fish catchers for sure. On the March Browns I would still try to move the wing forward just a tad and maybe add one more wrap of hackle in front. try to make the heads a little smaller.

The single poly wings should work OK. When I tie thorax stye flies (mostly sulphurs) I follow the instructions in "Fly Tiers Benchside Reference" for wrapping a single hackle thorax style.

Randall Kaufman's "Tying Dry Flies" is another great reference and instruction book.

Posted on: 3/4 11:36

From Pittsburgh
The march brown on the left looks pretty good to me!

Turkey flats are the breast feathers from farm raised turkeys - they're naturally white in color, then dyed many different colors for specific needs. And , yes, they're usually used for clump style wings on thorax patterns. However, they can be used for divided wings too

Posted on: 3/4 12:06

From North East PA
Quote:

OldLefty wrote:
Dry Fly wings:
(I hope this uploads

Posting for Mr. Rothrock

Attach file:

jpg  OldLeftyFly.jpg (121.08 KB)
5814_531a78bdbe35d.jpg 640X420 px

Posted on: 3/7 20:56

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Jersey Shore, PA
O.K., I'm trying to upload the photo again. Thanks to djs12354 for resizing.

This is an alternative wing for dries.

Posted on: 3/7 20:57

From Jersey Shore, PA
Another failed attempt...

Posted on: 3/7 20:58

From North East PA
Dave

I sobered up and re-read your email. ( On a a weekend getaway with Joy for our anniversary) Pic posted for me as you can see above.

Glad to help.

Posted on: 3/7 22:45

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Lewistown, PA
Interesting. So that's some kind of feather cut or burned into the shape of a mayfly wing and tied in by the stem. And just a single wing, right? What is the feather from?

Posted on: 3/9 9:59

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com