Dry Fly Hackle?

MKern

MKern

Just curious. What kind of dry fly hackle do you guys use?

I am quite fond of Whiting 100 packs, because of how dense the fibers are and how I can use my hands to layer the hackle instead of pliers. As an added bonus, they are inexpensive compaired to buying platinum saddle capes. I can get every size from 12 -- 18 for $50 where a whole saddle is roughly $110.
I also like how in grizzly and dun they go down to size 22 and are 11" long.

What do you guys prefer?

I have a couple of the Whiting 100 packs that I use for specific flies/specific sizes, and I like them. I've used several brands of necks, including Keough, Metz (#2 and #3), and Whiting (Silver and Bronze). In my personal experience, Whiting is the best and worth every cent I've paid for them.

John

I hear from a lot of people prefer whiting, and I have to agree. Two years ago a buddy of mine went out to Colorado for a flyfishing fair and met Mr. Whiting. He told him holw he genetically enginered his chicken through natural selection to have longer and more dense feathers. He said that he has roosters that have feathers that drag on the ground that now he has to grow chickens with longer legs, to no ruin the feathers.
I think that is a huge step forward fly fishing and tying.

P.S. After their hour long discussion on what a good hackle is, Mr. whiting told my friend where some good fishing was. My buddy drove about 30 minutes, literally slid down a rock face, and ended up in a stretch of water that had hundreds of 16+ inch fish rising all day.

Maybe there is a market for chicken stilts--seriously though--I like that hackle for all the same reasons you do. Good stuff.

I like the Whiting necks in silver or #2's, mainly for the abundance of different sized feathers. For me, its the economical way to go.
On a few of my necks, I have completely used up some specific sizes and that's where the 100 packs come in handy.
What I don't like about these recent genetically engineered necks by Whiting is the absence of usable spade hackle for tailing dries.

I use nothing but Whitings also. Its just a better feather then Metz by far. The Whitings lay out so nice and being able to tie more then one fly with a feather is a big plus. Its just hard to find Whitings products...thats about my only complaint oh and watch buying the 1/2 or 1/4 saddles because I purchased a grizzly in the larger sizes #14 and bigger and ended up with all #14 feathers. I usually get the silver #2, 1/4 or 1/2 saddles because of the price.

I am looking for just small packs to tie like 6 or so flies with. I saw them one place but not Whitings but I'm not going to be picky with the name brand. I want just a couple of dark, medium, and light duns to tie up a few hendrexson and slate drakes but I don't fish either of them often enough to see the need to purchase a pack of feathers that will tie me up 100+ flies. I only want to tie up 15 or so total for myself. Any suggestions?

E Hille's in South Williamsport has small packs of presized hackle for less that $5. That is what ! would buy when I first started tying. they come in a variety of colors and have about 40 feathers or so. I believe the sizes are 12-14, 16-18, 20-22, but don't me to it.
It may be worth the 1/2 hour drive.

Yeah I've checked there before but no luck with the colors or sizes I wanted. I want a light dun and a medium dun in probably #12 or #14 and a dark dun in a #10 and #12.

Try Cabela's. I think they have $5 packs that come in a wide rariety of colors, but i think you have to order 3 packs at a time.

Back