Dry Fly Dubbing

RCFetter

RCFetter

About a yr ago I bought a Hareline Micro Fine Dry Fly Dubbing Dispenser. Problem is the colors, esp the lighter colors are not consistent and other colors are not very smooth.

At the Somerset show I got Wapsi Super Fine in red quill and orange and it has much finer texture and goes on smoother. It's supposed to be waterproof but I know that means it won't soak up floatant.

I was wondering what others use for dry fly dubbing.

I've always used hareline's superfine.

I've been using mad river beaver dubbing.
It's very fine, and goes on the thread very nicely to make a tight body.
It also seems to soak up floatant fine too

96c8ad3bbf41bf61f0cfbeedf6a85f5d-image.jpeg

I use hareline Rabbit, and Haretron.....But I switched to Orvis Spectrablend for my poly a few years ago. I prefer it now.

Stick with the dubbing you like and use Frog Fanny as a floatant.

BOOM

DavidFin wrote:
Stick with the dubbing you like and use Frog Fanny as a floatant.

BOOM

^^^ What he said.

NJTroutbum wrote:
I use hareline Rabbit, and Haretron.....But I switched to Orvis Spectrablend for my poly a few years ago. I prefer it now.

+1 ^

It is very easy to apply to thread and there's no problem applying small amounts, which allows one to tie tightly wound body. This helps with flotation and also allows one to tie slim, more realistic bodies as well as tying small flies. In addition, being made from a poly material helps float the fly very well since it doesn't absorb much water.

TCO's East Coast dubbing for the vast majority of the dries I tie.

Wapsi Superfine

Beaver

Blue Ribbon Flies Zelon Dubbing

Rene Harrop Professional Dry

I have some of the Hareline micro dry dubbing. I prefer Superfine. FlyRite poly dubbing is some of the worst dubbing stuff ever. I know some guys love it, but I can not stand it.

Delaware River Club Spectrumized Dubbing or Beaver dubbing.

I'll second the East Coast Dubbing at TCO. Dubs like a charm and comes in a bunch of colors that match the naturals.

Previously I used Superfine (mostly because its easy to find). But I've been using more natural furs for my dries lately, namely muskrat and beaver, because they're easier to work with and blend colors.

Last year, Phil at Kettle Creek Tackle gave me some new ultra superfine dubbing to test out that he and Jack from Jacks Tackle were working on. The stuff is amazing. I was over the other day, and the project is done. Colors are perfect and it floats really well. Just a heads up on a great product. If you get a chance to try it out, go for it.

Wing Quill:

I will have to give Jack's dry fly dubbing a try. His nymph blends are awesome.

Jacks blending and colors are right on for here in Pa. I gave away a huge collection of dubbings from many others, and switched to Jacks exclusvely. Saves time and space.

Is that the Jack Miekevics(spelling)? Where can it be ordered?

Jack Mickievicz is a friend of mine, send me a pm and I will give you the info. He supplies several fly shops with his dubbing. Kettle Creek carries it, Sandfly may carry it as well.

An FYI. Checked out this dubbing today at Kettle Creek Tackle. He has a wall full of dubbings to match the hatches. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to fish Kettle to!

Phil's hatching mayfly dubbing (Kettle Creek Tackle Shop) is right on the money as far as colors go.
However, it always seems to have lots of guard hairs in it for some reason. And that makes it a little hard to get a smooth body (unless you pick it out)
And that's why I prefer to use beaver dubbing

Back