Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Does it have to be "fly" thread?

From MONTCO
Well, I have anough to knit a kevlar glove then.

Why do they sell Kevlar for fly tying if it's that hard on tools? Just for tying bodies?

Posted on: 2012/7/7 23:06

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

joseywales wrote:
Why do they sell Kevlar for fly tying if it's that hard on tools? Just for tying bodies?

The link I posted explains it. In short, it's primary attribute is high strength. If you scroll down that article, you'll see a comparison chart for various tying threads - note the breaking strength of Kevlar. Strong stuff, but pretty unfriendly to work with.

The new(er) GSP threads are even stronger, but you have to cut it while under tension. It's also very slippery on the hook shank.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 23:26

From MONTCO
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Quote:

joseywales wrote:

The link I posted explains it. In short, it's primary attribute is high strength. If you scroll down that article, you'll see a comparison chart for various tying threads - note the breaking strength of Kevlar. Strong stuff, but pretty unfriendly to work with.

The new(er) GSP threads are even stronger, but you have to cut it while under tension. It's also very slippery on the hook shank.

Gotcha. Family just went out, so I'm pouring through that article now.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 14:20

The biggest use of the high strength threads is to spin deer hair on bass bugs or saltwater flies. To get a real tight deer hair bass bug it helps to have a real strong thread. Trout flies very rarely need the real high strength material.

Back 50 years ago or more when fly shops were a very rare thing most people just got their thread from a sewing store. Of course it was silk back then. One had to be very careful starting and tying off the thread to keep the fly spare (see Leisenrings book on soft hackles) - it's a lot easier with modern threads.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 11:26

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com