Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Does anyone do this with hackle?

From The Frozen Tundra of WI
Jayson if you spent more time working and less time trolling on the interwebs, you could be as productive. Maybe....

Posted on: 2013/3/26 14:11

From Portage, PA
Jason,

They were very productive. Tied, 3 dozen flies, and took a philosophy quiz before work, desinged and detailed a flatbed, researched DEP permits and grants at lunch, and am now designing an articulating crane mount for another flatbed. So yes they were quite productive. How is your day going?

Posted on: 2013/3/26 14:22

From York & Starlight, PA
I have been tying flies for fifty-six (56) years and I have never pulled hackles out of a cape to pre-sort them relative to different sizes to expedite my tying. But then I don't sell flies nor do I ever tie more than one dozen of anything at any tying session.

Sometimes when I'm tying a feather may come out of the cape, or saddle, that I didn't want or the barbules may have been too short/long for that fly and then I put it into an envelope but I don't mark the envelope.

I have a perfect solution for you if you can't yet determine the proper barbule length for the dries you are tying; buy Hoffman or Whiting dry fly saddles in grade #1 & #2. The feathers on these saddles are 6" - 8" long and the barbule length is pretty much the same from the base to the tip of the feather.

You can get saddles that tie #10 - #12, #14 - #16, #18 - #22. There is virtualy no waste when you use saddle feathers and you can mark the plastic bag with the size range a particular saddle will tie. A good rule of thumb to determine the right barbule length is it should be one and one half times in length of the gape of the hook. If you remember this you will seldom select the wrong hackle.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 14:41

From King Of Prussia, Pa
My day is going pretty good. Just finished a proposal for a complicated Commercial risk that should bring in a nice commission for my agency. But that's not why I do it. I just received an email from a client who was ecstatic about a claims check he received for a claim I recommended he file due to business interruption caused by Superstorm Sandy. That's what brings satisfaction to me, helping others.

Don't bother PM'ing me, I will not sell insurance to members of PAFlyfish.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 15:03

From Portage, PA
good job!

Posted on: 2013/3/26 15:30

From Monessen, PA
I slept in a Holiday Suites.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 18:34

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com