Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Discount Hooks?

From Carbon County
Dryflyguy that is odd because I have dai riki, mustad, tmc, and allen dry fly #14's in front of me and the dai riki's are the largest of the bunch slightly. Maybe that batch you got is packaged wrong or maybe mine are. My dai riki #22 dry fly are also slightly longer shank then my TMC #22 df.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 12:16

From Pittsburgh
Dcap -

The Dai Riki hooks I bought - about 2 years ago now - were model #305, standard wire/length dry fly hooks. And when I hold them up to a tiemco hook the same size, they are definitely shorter. Kinda look like a 2x short hook. Maybe they did get mislabeled somehow.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 23:38

From Carbon County
I think it's my hooks that are labeled wrong. I didn't buy them very long ago and Allen had a 50% off sale right after I bought them so
I haven't even really used them much. But after checking them out yesterday my #22's are 320's which are 1x and the 14's are labeled 305's but I'm thinking they are 300's or 320's as well. I found 2 egg type hooks in the 50 pack of 14's. If that got by them then a bad label could've gotten by as well. Mine also have a special label with the evening hatch name and logo on them. If they do special labels for every fly shop I'm sure they could easily screw it up. You must be right though because my 1x #22 is only very slightly longer than my tmc 100#22. And I mean just barely longer, only like the thickness of the wire longer.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 10:23

From Bethlehem, PA
Pricey or not, I buy the best hooks I can. You get what you pay for.

Quite a few years ago on Penns my dad lost the biggest brown trout I have ever seen swimming before or since (including the behemoths that come up out of Lake Ontario into the Salmon River) on a fly tied with a hook he bought on a closeout special from what was then E. H. Hille in Williamsport. While not completely unbending, it did enough for the fish the get off. I've always bought good hooks since and have never lost a trout of any size because of a bent hook. (Lost a few giant kings to bent hooks but that's another story.)

Posted on: 2013/11/13 8:27

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

From Norwich, CT
dont assume that one manufacturers hook size are going to equal another hook manufacturers hook sizes

since there are no standards for hook manufacturers to follow, anything goes!

Posted on: 2013/11/13 9:25

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

http://www.danica.com/flytier/nfrechette/nfrechette.htm

Re: Discount Hooks? Green Caddis?

From Woodstock, MD
Coincidentally, I just came from this site looking for hooks myself. There seems to be a lot of positive testimonials.

http://greencaddis.com/fly-tying-hooks.html

Posted on: 2013/11/13 19:00

Re: Discount Hooks? Green Caddis?

From Norwich, CT
Quote:

MD_Gene wrote:
Coincidentally, I just came from this site looking for hooks myself. There seems to be a lot of positive testimonials.

http://greencaddis.com/fly-tying-hooks.html

ive bought some hooks from green caddis outfitters and replaced them with allen hooks.

a lot of the hook had a curve in the shank when they should be straight

a lot of the hooks were over bent at the bend of the hook. you have to put them in your vise and pull up on the eye to fix them.

not very good in the quality control department.

i'll buy allen hooks from now on

your milage may vary

Posted on: 2013/11/14 13:24

From Woodstock, MD
Blue Quill Angler has Dai-Riki hooks for 20% off. You get 50 hooks for about $5.55. No tax and free shipping.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 7:29

From Woodstock, MD
I just ordered some Dai-Riki hooks from Bluequillangler.com. They are 20% off right now. I have noticed more than one pro-tyer on the web using them so I figure they must at least be okay.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 15:45

From SEPA
Quote:

MD_Gene wrote:
I have noticed more than one pro-tyer on the web using them so I figure they must at least be okay.

You know often "pro tyers" get their junk for free, right? That's the whole point.

Just because you see advertisements, doesn't mean its actually good. Just that their marketing budget is.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 15:56

From philadelphia
i try to use eagle claw hooks whenever possible,i find they are usually very reasonably priced.

my second choice is mustad.i can usually get some deals on ebay.

next choice is TMC.i find these have a lot more problems with quality control than eagle claw or mustad.

dai riki and daichi seem ok.just ok.

i will tye on anything i get my hands on though.

Posted on: 2013/11/23 22:04

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
I use the J. Stockard house brand for most of my trout flies...they had some quality control issues early on, but they've really improved and are an excellent product for the price now.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 3:02

From York, PA
I got some Allen hooks, but they were way off from what I am used to. I use Daichii Hooks as that's what my shop carries.

Comparing the hooks, the Allen's were bad. I had many per pack that the hook gap was off and the lengths varied.

I got some beads and they were good but I was not impressed with the hooks. I know a lot of people really like them but I got a bad batch. I had gotten almost 10 packs of hooks and it was the same across the board.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 17:16

From Woodstock, MD

---------------------------------
gfen wrote:

You know often "pro tyers" get their junk for free, right? That's the whole point.

Just because you see advertisements, doesn't mean its actually good. Just that their marketing budget is.
--------------------------------------

That's a good point and didn't think of it myself. But I see guys on utube who are not pros use Dai-Riki hooks. I got my order in 3 business days from CO to MD and the hooks pass the "nail drag test".

But getting back to your point, I'll bet no pro golfer pays a lick for their Titleists.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 20:30

From North East PA
I have not been tying long enough to offer comparison of one brand vs. another and will not try.

I will say I have been using Allen hooks and have caught several large Lackawanna browns on them and have had no issues with them strength-wise. This is on various sizes from 10 down to 18.

Allen's delivery of hooks is free and they have always arrived quickly. They are also consistently sharp out of the bag.

Posted on: 2013/11/29 18:30

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com