Did I hear flip say 2010 Steelhead swap?

boss_steb

boss_steb

Hi All:

I ran a mini swap for steelhead flies and participated in the first steelhead swap last fall...

I will offer to serve as you moderator and swap guide if anyone is interested. If there is another one going, I apologize and ignore the post...

My caveats:

Deadline to join: September 24
Deadline to ship flies: October 8, 2010
I will turn them around and distribute who ever has arrived by the 15th. The will be mailed on the 15th.

Many of us have started tying so we should be able to pull this off relatively quickly...if you haven't, dust off the vice and get started...

Please send me your pattern when you sign up...if we get some double ups...no problem...everyone has a bit of a twist on their patterns anyway...we can do eggs but maybe be a bit more creative than that...or send eggs as a bonus fly for everyone.

Once we get the set number on September 24th..make one fly for everyone in the swap plus a few others for the moderators of the PAFF...they do great work. When you send your flies...send a self addressed stamped envelope to return them in...a small box is helpful (like a altoids can) to protect the flies in transit...

Boss Steb

my submission-Elk Creek Caddis + a Slump Buster

I'm in. I was going to organize, but since you are, even better!

What is your pattern, partner...might be a quick swap for two...

If I only Tied............

one day my friends one day

Becker,

Life is short. If you are interested in something, don't waste time thinking about doing it. Give it a shot.

I am sure someone on this board could give you a quick demonstration. You could have a cheap vise from cabelas, as well as most of the necessary tools for like $40. You could tie all of your steelhead flies for absolute minimal materials investment, and many of the same patterns are deadly on stocked trout.

I still use my cabelas vise, and cannot justify an upgrade as of yet.

I'm in, hot-spot stone

jayL wrote:
Becker,

Life is short. If you are interested in something, don't waste time thinking about doing it. Give it a shot.

I am sure someone on this board could give you a quick demonstration. You could have a cheap vise from cabelas, as well as most of the necessary tools for like $40. You could tie all of your steelhead flies for absolute minimal materials investment, and many of the same patterns are deadly on stocked trout.

I still use my cabelas vise, and cannot justify an upgrade as of yet.

O, I have plans to start tieing. Heritage informed me he has a vice for me and I just have to wait till the end of the month for a little extra dough, so i can head down to TCO to get set up. I already plan to attend the seminars the TU puts on up here in the valley over the dead of winter to tie. I just can not get in on the steelhead swap, thats all I was saying.

I'll tie an Eggs and Sausage.

Ok...so far

Boss Steb- Elk Creek Caddis and Slump Buster
Medicine Man- Hot spot Stone
WSender-Eggs and Sausage

Becker-

Beware...once your start you won't be able to stop!!! :D

O I know, but it will be better then sponging off my friends :)

I'm not sure how long of a haul it is, but the Bean that HA works at has a terrific, and free, tying class available. You can call the store for details, or stop in. It runs every Tuesday from 6pm to 8pm.

It's closer for me to go to HA's house and have him teach me :)

OK Becker - Here's your vise. Not bad for free....

I've got some tools for you, too. You need to pick up a few, but I'd say around $10 should be enough to get the rest of what you need.

Time to tie some flies of your own.

Attachments

• truerotaryvise.jpg
    truerotaryvise.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 1
Believe me when I say, I am very appreciative! I would like you to take a ride with me down to TCO Bryn Mawr in a couple weeks to pick up supplies. Outdoorsman has a stack of what I'll need down there ready for me to pick up and would like you to be able to help me pick up a couple extras.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
OK Becker - Here's your vise. Not bad for free....

I've got some tools for you, too. You need to pick up a few, but I'd say around $10 should be enough to get the rest of what you need.

Time to tie some flies of your own.

afishinado wrote:
Ed,

Does that fancy tying desk come with it?

Nope. Don't want to be in violation of the building code. Professor Becker will just have to use his kitchen table. ;-)

LRSAB,

Ed is Da Man! Welcome to the world of fly tying. In your area Mainstream Outfitters has some tying stuff. You mentioned TCO in Bryn Mawr for tying materials. TCO in Reading is a larger store and has a whole bunch of fly tying stuff there. It might even be closer to you.

I advise you pick a few patterns you fish a lot and you want to tie (simpler patterns are best to start with) and just buy the materials and hooks to tie them. Master them and move on to a few other patterns. You will accumulate USEFUL tying materials that way without all the frilly fluff found in most tying kits.

Ask questions, post pictures, have fun. Good luck.

If you got to TCO bryn mawr, let me know and we can grab a beer. Ed has my number.

BTW, that vise is WAY nicer than anything I have ever had. You'll love it.

LRSABecker wrote:
Believe me when I say, I am very appreciative! I would like you to take a ride with me down to TCO Bryn Mawr in a couple weeks to pick up supplies. Outdoorsman has a stack of what I'll need down there ready for me to pick up and would like you to be able to help me pick up a couple extras.

I have most of the tools covered, but you can fill in the blanks, and grab some tying materials while we're there. I've never been to TCO Bryn Mawr, but TCO Reading has the best tying selection in Eastern PA. We need a TCO Allentown - Rt 222 is a PITA, especially on weekends. If the Bryn Mawr store has half of what the Reading store has, you'll be good to go.

Back