Deer/Elk Hair Wings

M

mhmcintyre

I'm new to this forum and am excited to learn from others.

Do any of you know of any videos on the web for tying hair wings such as the Elk Hair Caddis? This is one aspect of tying that I just can't seem to get right.

Thanks,

Mark

First of all welcome to the board!

this is a great place for reference for all aspects of fly fishing; tying, techniques, places to fish, general questions etc.
Feel free to keep the questions coming, there are plenty of experienced fishermen on this site to help you out.

When it comes to tying I am still not an expert but do ok. The first thing you need to do is put the hair in a stacker so the ends are even. Your fly looks cleaner and will be easier to tie. The most important part of this tie is the tension on the thread. To get a good spread on the hair you need a good amount of tension. I usually put a few thread wraps over the hair and get tighter with each wrap. You will get a good flair with the hair and then trim off the butt ends to get the desired look for the head. Keep trying and you'll get it.

here's a decent video from youtube to help out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ZyaEoc3HU

youtube has everything. I look at a lot of videos there for tying.

mhmcintyre wrote:
I'm new to this forum and am excited to learn from others.

Do any of you know of any videos on the web for tying hair wings such as the Elk Hair Caddis? This is one aspect of tying that I just can't seem to get right.

Thanks,

Mark

What are you having problems with?...I am assuming tying in the deer hair without spinning it around the underside of the hook? If so, what you have to do is get the clump on top of the hook close to the eye...but not too close. I pinch my fingers against the hook while holding the deer hair on top. The key is to make two loose wraps around the hook and the deer hair first. Then while still pinching it tight you cinch it on the third wrap. It's a pain in the butt when you first start tying them but with practice you'll get it right. Practice...practice....practice.

If that's the case, I wrap one time around just the hair first, then to both the hair and the hook. It keeps the hair on the top of the hook without fumbling with making sure it doesnt slip down to the bottom.

Here are some very informative ties...just look for any with deer / elk hair. They really try to gve you tips that will make tying easier and more effective.
The ones with Dave Whitlock are good...his hair bugs are famous.
Enjoy!
http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx

I believe the fly you seek is on page two.

http://www.theanglersnet.com/Fly-Tying-Videos/Archives.asp?section=6&sort=&CurPage=1

these are great.

Hi Mark - Here is a link to a website that has Hans Weilenmann's cdc/elk video. His method is simple and foolproof. The cdc/elk is by far my favorite caddis dry immitation.

cdc/elk video

This method of attaching the deer/elk wing is so sturdy, I've never had one come apart. I use Danville 6/0 thread,and it is perfect for this application.

Back