Davie's Intruder

SBecker

SBecker

For about 5 years I have swore to myself that I was going to tie an intruder fly. For 5 years I have yet to tie one. Sooner or later I will purchase some of the materials to do one or two. Davie McPhail posted a tying tutorial on one after posting some beautiful photos of some he was tying on his FB. Many of us bugged him to make a video. If you have 30 minutes to watch one fly being tied this is a good video to watch.

YouTube

I have thought about tying these in more trout colors for big browns as well. Anybody tie intruder style flies for big browns or do you relegate them for steelhead?

i tie them for steelhead, though i rarely get to use them in pa. they worked wonders in alaska. what materials you need? only thing i have yet to try is Rhea feathers, but most schlappen and ostrich can be used for trout streamers as well. if ya need anything let me know, i have more stuff for intruders than i will truly ever use

Edit, and for what its worth, the most productive intruders that ive tied are basically just maribou. I tie them in long shanks and shorter shanks (i believe 25mm) and they are more productive than the long shanks, at least in ny for me.

I have a ton of marabou as well, but do not have any rhea, schlappen, golden pheasant, shabks, hooks or crazy color ostrich. So basically....I have marabou. Lol

Was thinking about brown trout colors in brown and yellow or olives for troots.

I tie them mostly for steelhead on the SR, but the browns take them as well from time to time. I wouldn't see why slightly scaled down version couldn't work for browns in trout streams.

You can always flare deer hair as the prop instead of using golden pheasant or schlappen, but I guess it would depend on the look you are after. Baitfish look or crayfish look......

Frank

hmm all the materials will obviously have to be bought, but they arent really expensive. Straight ostrich herl is basically the same thing as rhea when wet. for shanks, go to a automotive store and get codder pins (sp?) that are used for hold a nut on a bolt etc. they work just fine once they are cut to length etc. just cut one of the sides (wavy side) to look like a normal shank, and then bend the bottom a bit and it will look and work just as well as the shanks they want you to buy. if ya want shanks to try, shoot me your address and ill send ya an assortment of shanks (mine are waddington i believe)

and ya, deer hair, arctic fox etc will replace the need for the GPT. ill try to find the stuff that was sent to me when i first started. a ton of SBS patterns and such.

Shane, check out the canadian tube fly site. I buy a lot of my materials from them and they have some good tutorial too.
Here is the link.

www.canadiantubeflies.com

Thanks for the link Shane.

I tie mine on those Fishskull (Flymen) shanks with Power Pro line and Gamakatsu hooks (octopus style maybe?) for a trailer. I like just enough weight on the eyes to make the trailer ride hook point up. I also favor deer hair to prop up the materials a bit and other than that I try to keep them simple. No specific recipes. One material that I like are dyed peacock eyes. Ostrich herl works great too. I have some rhea but I use it sparingly.

I think its all about making these a little sparse so they have a lot of movement in the water. Its all about the movement. Just my opinion of course.

Coincidentally I tried to tie one of these last night...haven't had my vise out for awhile, there was a paystub in my bin dated 7/2013 so its been a long time...anyway, it looked like total crap. Oh well. Back on the horse.

I like it for Labrador.

Back