Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Dark Hendrickson

From Cato, NY
WB,

Good observation about the mayfly eyes. I made a very similar comment in a thread I started about the hendricksons earlier this month

Look at post # 3 from this thread My hendrickson flies

Posted on: 2013/3/27 8:34

From York & Starlight, PA
Osprey,

"Wasn't the tail in the original also wooduck like the wings and the Darby hackle floated better? I'll bet it was the greatest thing to be able to sit and watch those 2 tie and tell stories.............I"M JEALOUS!!!!"

Well I can't answer the comment about whether the tails were woodduck. I do know that Harry was a strong proponent of spade hackles for the tails of dry flies. Heck, I didn't even know what a spade hackle was back then! He opened a little yellowed cellophane envelope and handed me about four dark dun spade hackles. And said to me "now you only use these for tailing". It was pretty cool. I used them for tails on Art Flick's Dun Variant.

Yes, it was very cool to see Harry "hold court" with everyone who came into the store. Let's face it he was a legend, an icon, and guys would just wait, with bated breath, on every utterance he made. He even gave me six flies that he tied which much to my dismay somehow disappeared out of my VW van before I even got home that weekend. To this day I think someone in the store saw Harry give me those flies and then stole them right out of the vehicle while I was fishing.

Oh, you said "....I"M JEALOUS!!!!" Well while it was great to have experienced those times back in the early 1960's when FF was just starting to take off - but then you'd be an old dog like I am who can't hardly wade at all anymore. Pretty soon I'll probably have to hook up with some young whippersnapper to help me get the Hyde off, and back onto, the trailer at the end of the day. Ya think I could find a younger guy who'd float with me and row?

Posted on: 2013/3/27 8:51

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I am pretty sure there are a lot of us young whippersnappers that would row for you! Not Jdaddy though. He prefers to "forget" his oars and have others row him down the river. Lol! Jk

Posted on: 2013/3/27 9:18

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Richfield, PA
Will row for food.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 9:30
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Pittsburgh
Catskill type flies still catch many fish, and are well worth carrying IMO.

Wbranch - I'll row for beer!

Posted on: 2013/3/27 10:08

Hammertime;

"Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

I like your signature. I'll row for you.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 10:39

Dryflyguy,

"Catskill type flies still catch many fish, and are well worth carrying IMO.

Wbranch - I'll row for beer!"

Yes, Catskill type flies have their place...just not in my fly boxes! just kidding. In swift, riffly, water I'd probably put on a hackled thorax dun which is just an aberation of a Catskill type fly. Move the wing back to almost mid point and clip the hackle on the bottom.

I also still like to tie divided woodduck wing Quill Gordons and other flies in that genre just because they look so pretty in my fly boxes.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 10:43

From Cato, NY
I personally don't use catskill dries but I know people who do and do well, especially in faster moving water when duns are high on the water column and are fluttering around and can't dry their wings because it's cold and damp. I like to use a thorax pattern in these circumstances but I would not say a catskill dry is useless by any means.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 10:58

From Portage, PA
after seeing how much knowledge got packed into this post it looks like CDC and comparadun hair are on my material to buy list.

Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 11:06

Hey Mike,

"after seeing how much knowledge got packed into this post it looks like CDC and comparadun hair are on my material to buy list."

Since you are a pro tier/inventor/entrepeneur and you are likely going to be making personal gains from the knowledge you have gleaned from these posts I think it would only be fitting that you man up and "pay" for our tutelage.

I think you should send every poster who contributed to this thread half a dozen nymphs. That seems to be a modest price to "pay" for the plethora of knowledge you have gained over the past few days.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 12:41

From Portage, PA
wbranch,

send me an adress and I will ship you some to test out for me

Posted on: 2013/3/27 16:01

CDC and comparadun hair are WAY overrated if you ask me.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 19:44

From Portage, PA
Green do you use elk it deer hair instead

Posted on: 2013/3/27 20:48

"CDC and comparadun hair are WAY overrated if you ask me."

To each his own if you ask me.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 22:15

From Johnstown, PA
Whatever happened to JayL ? I gave him some catskill style Hendricksons and haven't been able to find out how they worked? The George Harvey method of using 3 hackles is the way I tie them , occasionally 2 hackles and real wood duck flank not dyed , they are a very good all around fly very much like an Adams someone said and it's true , they can pass for many dark mayflies. Wbranch..........I know your pain brother , i'm 57 , no pup , i lost my left leg 10 years ago at work but i'd still give that rowing a go...i gotta assume you do the Delaware.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 6:33

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com