HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Dark Hendrickson

From York & Starlight, PA
Mike,

Are you referring to this post;

"You not getting senile DFG...you are correct.

The dark hendrickson is pattern that has been tied for many years, and I've never really understood why it is gray. It may work, like many other fly patterns, the exact color is seldom important.

The male hendrickson is ususally a brown/red brown color, while the female has a tan/sometimes pinkish body. A red quill (reddish brown quill tied in for the body) is a good imitation of the male. Most female versions use a dubbed tannish/pinkish body.

One other thing, hendricksons hatch from their shuck right on top of the water, therefore low floating patterns like comparaduns and parachutes work well, especially patterns that incorporate a trailing shuck. Also emerger patterns that sit in the film are often killer.

A Catskill tie that sits high on the water would be my last choice as a style of fly to use during a hendrickson hatch."

I tend to agree with these comments. Particularly this comment "A Catskill tie that sits high on the water would be my last choice as a style of fly to use during a hendrickson hatch."

Now when I was a kid and didn't know any better I used to use a divided woodduck wing and fully hackled versions for this emergence but as I got older, and wiser, relative to keeping my eyes open while fishing I realized that the tradional Catskill sytle flies were lacking in many ways.

Now there are likely fifty guys on this forum that will call me a heretic for poo-pooing fully hackled Catskill style patterns. All I can say to that is "whatever". I like flush floating, realisticly sized, and colored, imitations of the emerging flies. I used to tie my dry flies with split spade, or microfibbet, tails but I no longer do this on most of my flies. I still do it on all my Tricos and most of my spinners but other than they look really pretty I'm pretty sure the trout don't give a hoot.

I have caught a ton of 18" and over trout since I stopped splitting my tails and none of those trout ignored my trailing shuck/woodduck fiber tails. Remember that while replication of the emerging pattern is quite important nothing is going to replace proper presentation and a drag free float.

If you don't feel confident with the floatation attributes of a compara-dun you could tie a similar wing profile but add a turn, or two, of a medium to dark dun hackle and clip the bottom hackles.

BTW if you catch a sub imago mayfly you will see that the eyes are usually very prominent. Maybe we can consider those colorful eyes as "hot spots". I try and use the same color thread as the eye color of the dun.

Attach file:

jpg  Thorax Style.JPG (845.06 KB)
2548_5151b03a6b857.jpg 2048X1360 px

jpg  #18 CDC BWO.JPG (747.82 KB)
2548_5151b07057f86.jpg 2048X1360 px

Posted on: 2013/3/26 10:21

Edited by wbranch on 2013/3/26 10:39:17

From Portage, PA
Great insight. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/3/26 10:28

From South Central PA
wbranch those are some very fine subvarias. Wings in particular.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 15:21

From Dauphin PA
Your fly looks good. Don't make it harder than it has to be though. I have one thorax tie in a 14 & 16. It covers me on female hendrickson and blue quills. A rusty/brown thorax dry in a 16 to cover the male hendrickson. Carry a pile of CDC emergers. Most of those can match a caddis and / or a mayfly hatch. The only other must have in the box is rusty spinners in 12 - 20. Those 4 patterns will get you through most of your spring fishing. When in doubt, error on making the body too thin and not too fat.

looking a wbranch's fly tying desk, he's tied more flies today than I've tied in the last 5 years.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 15:26

Krayfish wrote;

"looking a wbranch's fly tying desk, he's tied more flies today than I've tied in the last 5 years."

Yes, when one is retired and has little to do besides fish and tie flies, and think about fishing, it's pretty easy to let it get out of hand. I've tied well over 400 flies since mid January. I recently gave a newbie 150 dries, nymphs, steelhead flies, etc that were either brand new of "gently used" so I'd have an excuse to tie more.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 16:19

GDC,

Thank you for the kind words. Those wings are created with the tips of three natural dark dun CDC feathers.

Here is another neat comapra-dun, a Green Drake compara-dun and a Green Drake comapar-dun with just a little hackle for support.

Attach file:

jpg  March Brown - Front.JPG (151.53 KB)
2548_51520d8351d57.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  March Brown - Side.JPG (136.37 KB)
2548_51520db7a4236.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  Another Green Drake.JPG (19.42 KB)
2548_51520ddf50673.jpg 480X318 px

jpg  Matt's Green Drake.JPG (29.49 KB)
2548_51520df1da2d6.jpg 480X318 px

jpg  Green Drake Compara-dun (with grizzly hackle).JPG (26.85 KB)
2548_51520f4b47ddf.jpg 480X318 px

Posted on: 2013/3/26 17:12

From Dauphin PA
Those drakes and march browns are looking good and they will work on selective fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 17:55

From Eastern PA
I have never fished with wbranch (what is my problem?!?! I have plenty of time mid-week) but I think I still put him in the top ten all around knowledgeable fishermen that I have met.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 17:58

From Ferguson Twp.
You're tying some really good flies.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 18:40

JDaddy wrote;

"I have never fished with wbranch (what is my problem?!?!"

Hmm? do you want a personal invite? Look, flattery will get you everywhere so why don't you PM me and lets see if we can put a few trips together, during the week, on the system. We can do the lower WB, or upper main, in the Hyde or the upper WB in either the two man kayak or my two pontoon boats.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 18:48

Quote:

afishinado wrote:

The dark hendrickson is pattern that has been tied for many years, and I've never really understood why it is gray. It may work, like many other fly patterns, the exact color is seldom important.

A Catskill tie that sits high on the water would be my last choice as a style of fly to use during a hendrickson hatch.

They're grey because the fly (pattern) is named for Albert Hendrickson, not for the insect that happens to resemble the light version. The insects were named later.

The Dark Hendrickson, besides being a good all-round fly like the Adams, is a pretty good imitation of a Quill Gordon, and tied smaller, of the Blue Quill. The wet version is my go-to imitation for little brown stoneflies.

I've caught hundreds of trout during late March/early April on the traditional Catskill version of the dry. It's a fly well worth carrying.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 0:58

From Johnstown, PA
Yinz got me confused.....i thought the Dark Hendrickson Catskill style was tied with upright , divided wood duck wings , dun hackle for tails , light grey dubbing (rabbit) for the body and finished off with dun hackles. Wasn't the Darby hackle the thing that made it the bomb?

Posted on: 2013/3/27 6:09

Quote:

osprey wrote:
Yinz got me confused.....i thought the Dark Hendrickson Catskill style was tied with upright , divided wood duck wings , dun hackle for tails , light grey dubbing (rabbit) for the body and finished off with dun hackles. Wasn't the Darby hackle the thing that made it the bomb?

Yup.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 6:57

"Wasn't the Darby hackle the thing that made it the bomb?"

I knew Harry & Elsie Darbee and used to stop in there house/shop and I'd watch them tie. They had their fly tying desks side by side and they had all sorts of bamboo rods in cases inthe corner of the room.

In regard to the dry fly hackle that Harry used; he was raising his own roosters and I believe he got his genetic chicks from a gentleman named Andy Miner. They were nice dun feathers but by no means anywhere as consistently long and stiff as later capes, and saddles, of Metz, Hoffman, and later Whiting came out with after serious scientific genetic breeding in the early 1980's.

I don't believe that the Darby hackle had anything to do with the popularity, or effectiveness, of the Dark Hendrickson. The fly had already been around for decades.

I bought a flamed Leonard Baby Catskill 7' #4 from Harry for $200.00.

A few times when I went to the Darby house there was someone there of reknown in the fly fishing world of the early 1960's. I met Sparse Grey Hackle (Alfred Miller) Larry Solomon, and others. Everett Garrison was still alive, and making rods, but the waiting list was so long that it was pretty much impossible to get one. I did though get a Thomas 8' 6" 3 piece, the Leonard, a couple of Orvis rods, a Walt Carpenter 7' 6" #5 that I still own and a Miney Hull rod which I sold long ago.

In all the time I visited the Darbees which was about ten years I never saw either one of them ever fish the Willowemoc or Beaverkill. I don't think Harry had fished the local waters in twenty years. He said he still did some Atlantic salmon fishing on the Margaree but I think he had lost all interest in fishing the local waters.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 7:03

From Johnstown, PA
Wbranch..........i know the fly was around but the Catskill style was mentioned in the OP and i was referring to the Catskill style when i mentioned the Darby hackle. Wasn't the tail in the original also wooduck like the wings and the Darby hackle floated better? I'll bet it was the greatest thing to be able to sit and watch those 2 tie and tell stories.............I"M JEALOUS!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/27 7:31

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com