Crayfish bugger

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I am messin' around with some new tying materials tonight. Goin' to try a bunch of variations of the wooley bugger. The buggier the better.

Attachments

• Olive Bugger Crayfish .JPG
    Olive Bugger Crayfish .JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Bead eye flash bugger cray.JPG
    Bead eye flash bugger cray.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 3
Very cool. Are those Clouser type eyes to hold the hook point up?

Yes, they are tied to swim hook facing up.

That is the whole reason I invested in bead eyes, plus they make the fly look so much cooler.

I picked up some yellow and some brass bead eyes. Definately going to tie a few Clouser minnows too.

Also on my list was:

olive hackle
hooks
crystal flash
brass beads
brown & olive 210 denier thread
Fuzzy sheet of olive material

Is it my imagination, or the camera angle, or did you cut off the tips of the marabou tail with scissors? From an esthetic, and functional standpoint, I'd never square of the fibers of marabou with scissors as it reduces the natural effectivity of the feather. Otherwise it is a good looking fly.

jake thatsa great tie try to seperate the marabou into 2 smaller clumps and a few peacock herl for antennae and you got a rael lookin crayfish bugger maybe some type a shell back..... all of which are only suggestions

I'd tie up a few in burnt orange too. Maybe a few olive/burnt orange as well.

sick tie man! if you would leave the marabou long and just snip out the center for a seperated claw look, that would be sweet.

Nice tie and I agree with others to leave the marabou taper.

To seperate the marabou into claws, it's best ties in two clumps posting each out at a 60 degree angle and adding a drop of glue, otherwise it'll just turn into one big clump in the water. Rabbit strips work better with a ball of dubbing between them.

I forgot to post it on here but I went and trimmed up that bugger. I am probably goin to do a few more before moving on to some stuff that I'm running low on.

Here is the same bugger trimmed up, and some others.

Attachments

• Crayfish bugger trimmed top.JPG
    Crayfish bugger trimmed top.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Crayfish bugger trimmed bottom.JPG
    Crayfish bugger trimmed bottom.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Jake's first dumbell eye bugger.JPG
    Jake's first dumbell eye bugger.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Another bugger.JPG
    Another bugger.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 4
Here's a tie I screwed up I tied the orange marabou on the wrong side I trimmed the hackle on the top and bottom leaving the sides and I put an olive/brown piece of chenille over the back like a shell back

Attachments

• IMG_20110328_170357.jpg
    IMG_20110328_170357.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 6

I might be imagining things, but I'd swear someone makes a version that uses two zonker strips for claws. Seems pretty straight forward enough to me.

Back