Crayfish Fly's

B

BigWhite

Does anybody have any Fly patterns that mimic a crayfish pretty well?
Thanks

Clousers

http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/clouserCrayfish/clouserCrayfish.html

http://www.hafft.ca/Crayfish.pdf

This is my crayfish pattern I got some ideas from Kelly Galloups "articu-claw" fly . I t's articulated and swims great. I'ts a little of a pain to tie and about 6 min. apiece.
DSC00019-1.jpg

I've had good luck with flies like the Clouser crayfish or similarl flies. I find that the key is to give them some bulk and use somewhat soft materials. Occasionally, someone will post a picture of a crayfish fly that is not only long and skinny, but also hard and shiny looking. I don't think such flies are very effective, or at least not as effective as they should be.

IMO, Fury Foam, rabbit fur, hen hackles and even bucktail are the way to go.

Kev

I agree with PK, some of those hard realistic patterns look good only to the fisherman. I've tied and fished a lot of different crayfish patterns. IMO, a wooly bugger fishes equally as well or better than many crayfish patterns. A bugger has a lot of movement and looks a lot like a lot of things, including a crayfish. It's fun to mess with patterns, but if I want to really catch fish, I just tie on a bugger.

Tan, brown or olive bead head woolly bugger...if you must..split the tail with a few figure 8 wraps...

Agree with the "bugger" statements.

PACOFRANSISCO,
If you can tie that in around 6 minutes I would say you are doing a fine job.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
This is my crayfish pattern I got some ideas from Kelly Galloups "articu-claw" fly . I t's articulated and swims great. I'ts a little of a pain to tie and about 6 min. apiece.
DSC00019-1.jpg

Nice looking fly Paco. I couldn't help notice the neatly organized tools and materials in the background of your photo. Thats exactly how my tying station looks after I have been there for 5 minutes. It's a miracle that I can find anything when I need it. :roll: :roll:

Back