Craig Mathews Fly Tying Videos

DGC

DGC

From this page you have access to 3 videos; Craig Mathews of Blue Ribbon Flies, West Yellowstone, is the tier:

http://www.youtube.com/user/camcoffin

Notes:

Iris Caddis. I was never sure how he tied in that loop wing, until now.

Sparkle Dun. He spends some time on the importance of hair choice. Also, taking the thread through the wing in 3 sections to help secure it was new to me.

Madison River Zelon Midge. Easy, buggy looking pattern.

Consideration: Mathews and his shop are reputed to have a considerable cache of Zelon, and its use is considerable in these videos.

Nice videos. I've seen many threads on the Antron vs Zelon debate. Skinflint that I am, I used to use Antron for my shucks and tails because it is cheaper. But then the talk about Zelon came about, and I started experimenting with Antron vs Zelon.

I use the more expensive Zelon now exclusively.

I will have to try the iris caddis. His way of doing the bubble is a lot easier than some of the other ways I've seen.

Thanks

Festus,
i googled the antron vs zelon debate when i saw this video and i learned absolutely nothing. since i have a good amount of antron i have been using it on my comparaduns with success but i discovered some zelon in a box of materials i got for free and will try that...my question is 2-fold to others...for trailing shucks do you use antron, zelon, marabou, PT's?...and if zelon or antron...what colors? i've seen all colors used but a lot of what i read they will use dun or clear...i guess to represent an "empty" shuck that is just about separated...why not use more light brown to represent the body still partially in the shuck?

jeff

jeff

It's a matter of personal choice for sure. I think some of those debates were on the flytying forum. If you take some of that Antron, and dip it in water, you'll see that it will clump together. Take the Zlon and do the same thing, and you'll see that it will stay seperated and translucent like a shuck. That's the difference in the stuff that I've used.

But anyway, as for the color, I use lt tan to represent a shuck on most of mine. I use clear or lt dun on Baetis and Cornuta.

That guy is really peddling all his Zlon products in that video hard core to the point were it is getting annoying
Just Saying ..........

I was thinking the same thing Fredrick.

Besides, I wasn't that impressed with the fly, especially "the best caddis emerger pattern ever."

I so was going to quote that to Mkern LOL

Besides, I wasn't that impressed with the fly, especially "the best caddis emerger pattern ever."

All newly created fly patterns are killers out west.:-D That's a fact of life.

I don't like video's where you see the finished fly at the end of the video. I want to see the finished fly before, so I know if it is worth the time.

My 2 cents. Appreciate the zlon discussion though 'cause I have a load of antron. Will try some zlon.

real antron doesn't collapse, the stuff Gary La Fontaine used works fantastic. Most so called antron are not the same stuff as the Original. There are a lot of fibers called antron but they are not the same properties. There's only one place to get the real stuff..just call me.. Z-lon is also good but to expensive for what you get..

I also forgot to mention last night that FlyTyersDungeon has some great stuff to. For $1, you'll get a lifetime supply and it looks great. Gary can be a little slow on shipping at times though.

Dungeon

Shuck Yarn - This is equivalent to Zelon or Z-Yarn in many great colors and much more in each package. Trailing shucks, underwings on flies and wingcases on emergers.

Click for more information.

Price: $1.00 per package

8-18-08%20Shuck%20Yarn.jpg

Thanks for the link Festus their is some cheap materials to be had on that website

Not a problem Fred. That guy has some fantastic deals. I use most of his materials. His XMAS boxes are great. Make sure you sign up for his email offers. Last year I scored on 30 of his $5 imitation C&F boxes and gave them to customers. They loved them. His Frawg Hair is some pretty great stuff to. And the squiggly stuff is great when added to dubbing.

You can get a heckuva bunch of great material for a $20 bill.

BTW....real Antron is easy to find and is distributed by Jack Mickievicz out of Phoenixville under the name of Jack's Tackle. I use quite a few of his products, and happen to know that he supplies quite a few shops in different areas of the US as of last year. A man just doesn't buy a railcar full of Antron then sit on it:)

I noticed in another thread that DryFlyGuy likes the dubbing blends that Baldichinos Kettle Creek Tackle Shop sells. Those are Jacks blends and you sure do get a big pile of dubbing from Phil's shop. Lasts the average tyer forever.

I can vouch that Jack is a good guy. I'm not sure if he's still at french creek outfitters, but the man's sold me more than a few fly rods and reels.

Festus,

I don't get to FCO much anymore, since their selection has gone down hill and I moved to the city. Do you know if Jack has any kind of catalog or website?

I have his email and phone number here on one of his bills here somewhere in my pile. I'll see if I can dig it up here in a bit. To the best of my knowledge, he has no catalog. I think his jobbers know him pretty well and know that they are only a phone call away. Jack's a good guy.

As for the website, he told me last summer that he was working on it. Haven't seen it online yet though.

Thanks Afish. I hope the Flubinder site is up and running:)

I carry all of jack's products. Just got some in this past week, of course its all with me at some small shows I've been doing. Jack has the only real antron which I carry. Phil sells the same stuff I do..I've been working with jack for some time now on the data base and have added a few new flies to it, anyone stopping by may ask and you can see it along with what dubbings and thread for tying the flies.

Back