Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Craft stores

From Greensburg, PA
I never knew anyone who owned a fly shop that made any kind of fortune at it. And they never closed because they ran out of money. The only reason was age.

If you want to own a fly shop these days you better do it for the love of it or find something else to sell as well like a guide service or guns or lodging or something. The good ones are and always will be a novelty. Someplace really cool that you stumble onto and look into when you find them because you share the interest in fly fishing. I know that's gonna piss off sandfly to hear that but that's how I see it.

There was a time...in the days of soda fountains, hardware stores and family owned diners but you aren't going to find many of those anymore either. I'm not saying I like it, I'm just calling it as I see it.

So for now we're stuck getting in the mini-van, stopping at walmart for leaders, then wendy's for dinner on the way to lowe's to buy fuses so you can fix the electric at camp and go fishing. Sucks...huh?

Posted on: 2007/10/18 16:07

From Yardley, PA
Hey, there are also other ways to show your support for a fly shop - buy the owner a beer or a sandwich next time you run into them.

We all got to eat, drink and be merry.

D

Posted on: 2007/10/18 17:49

From Greensburg, PA
I used to bring the guy (john) at the (former) fly shop in Greensburg some of those nasty cigars he used to chew on.

Posted on: 2007/10/18 21:24

No doubt things are cheaper at craft stores.

You can't replace expert advice, shooting the breeze about flies/hatches and maybe picking up a couple things that would not be broadcast on a website.

For example; good directions to the latest hotspot or even the best hot meatloaf sandwich etc...

Most shops provide instruction and classes etc..
(where you gonna go for your workshops if they are gone?)
This is also a great place to meet fellow like minded flyfishers.

For a journeyman like myself; I would gladly pay .50 more to keep what I consider a valuable resource in business as I need all the help I can get.

sandfly- I will be visiting you sometime in the spring as I have Pine Creek on my radar for 2 years now but have not made it up there.

Posted on: 2007/11/1 11:06

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Come on up in late may for the drakes, no problems with crowding...the rewst of them who go to craft stores will be charged double, I have them on a list...

Posted on: 2007/11/2 8:14

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From York, PA
It's really a shame that almost all of the flyshops are closing. I used to love stopping at them.

But!! They usually didn't have what I wanted and way more expensive.

Besides it's so easy to shop online. The huge shops, like Cabelas, will send anything you want and for the cheapest price...... just a mouse-click away .... $5 shipping? it cost way more than that to drive to a fly shop. $3 a gallon for gas and they won't have what you want anyway!

And craft stores, you can purchase almost everything for tying except the hooks! The foam sheets, like mentioned above, are so cheap and it's fun to cut the foam and make any style fly you like. Why would you spend ten times as much just to get a silly looking spider body? I can make my own creations for almost nothing.

The world has changed. Having said all this, I still stop a flyshops and spend some money there........ they never have what I want, but I like to stop anyway.

Big ticket items? how can a flyshop ever compete with Cabelas? Cabelas has thousands of "factory fresh" rods of every type and weight that are available. And the combos! How can a flyshop ever match the price of a big chain store? It used to be that in a flyshop you could test the rods........ not anymore. The flyshops only have a couple outdated rods and never the ones I was looking for. This past spring, I went to Cabelas in Hamburg, PA and the salesman in the flyshop let me cast whatever I wanted!!

I purchased a Sage Fli 5wt from Cabelas. The two flyshops I went to before didn't even have a 5wt Sage in stock!!! And the combo price was way lower with "factory fresh" line and reels. I wanted to purchase from a flyshop, but all they had were old outfits at a inflated price.

Scuze me, while I tie some craft store flies

Posted on: 2007/11/6 20:00

Guest_
WOWZERS, Woolybugger!!
You, obviously, must visit some REALLY BAD fly shops, wherever it is, you go!?!

True, I like craft stores, too but I'll always support my fly shop, first and foremost. Like, I said, "I don't know, where YOU have run into such understocked and poor service-giving, fly shops", but the one I use, (River City Fly Shop, in Tigard Or.), not ONLY has over 12,000 sq.feet of space, that's overflowing with goods....but if it's not in his shop, he'll run you a mile away and allow you to paw through one of his, 3, large rental storage garages, chocked full of stuff.

Next to his shop, is a large lawn area, where you can try out any reel-rod/rod-reel combo, your heart desires.

Add, to those things, the free info on local waters, (which places like Cabela's cannot give you), the fact that anything and everything that I want to look at it "hands on" before I buy it..........all make a local fly shop a much better deal, than any large "Box Store".

Posted on: 2007/11/6 21:14

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com