Coyote nymphs

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Sorry the pic didn't turn out the best but I love the look of these flies and have had success with them in the past, Both with and without the lively legz.

For the tail section I take a snip of hair from the nose area of the coyote mask. Coyote is a lot easier to work with than hares mask for this. The guard hairs are a bit longer so you can pinch them and pull out the under fur a lot easier. I like the lighter color, and dark contrast with the guard hairs.

I use gold oval French tinsel for the ribbing size small.

For the body and thorax I pull fur from around and between the ear area. You can get some guard hairs and under fur for this. I like to have a decent mix of both as the underfur helps keep everything in line.

I prefer to use a wild turkey feather for the wing case, but pheasant tail can also be used.

I have had the best luck with the black bead and brown legs, but gold will work.

Pretty much tie it the same way as you would a hares ear. I just figured I would tell you where I pull the material from, for quick reference.

I tie this in size 16-12. I love the color on them, and if you get a yote with more of an orange tint to it, they can really switch the hue of the fly.

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• coyote nymphs.jpg
    coyote nymphs.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 10
They look good Mike. I can see why they would work.

Nice job,

GenCon

Those look great. Looks like I need to add another item to the shopping list.

LOL mine was shopped for in the wood. LOL My first coyote and 2nd turkey. LOL

I have no desire to hunt coyote. A target of opportunity is one thing but explicitly hunting for them is not for me. Turkey is different. I am counting the days until May 1st.

She came in to my tree calling while I was hunting turkey. dumped her at 30 yards. I thought a big gobbler was coming in. She was a 30# female.

Good job on her. I had a fox come in years ago. I was about 15 yards off of some weeds/ thick brush. I heard the noise and thought I had a bird coming and and then the fox exploded from the weeds and in mid air realized he made an awful mistake. Never saw one turn and head the other way that fast.

Back