Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Confessions v2

MKern,

What if we just like bugs? Are we allowed to flip rocks then?

Posted on: 2010/3/10 19:57

From Lewistown
Don't get me wrong, I flip rocks too. Especially if I've never been to that stream.

I like studying bugs as just a bug interest and to become a better fly fisher and tyer.

However, you can't surprised what's under there; it's mostly brown, and in aquatic plant mostly green.

I'm just saying don't study a particular mayfly and then tie on a beadhead prince nymph.

Oh, and you should have arough idea what's in the water anyway.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 20:03

i think we should add , yellow-brown , pinkish -brown , amber -brown. and if it is the end of march and weter temps hit 50 degrees for a few days then it could be quill gordons or blue quills ? but not likely to happen in march. when you flip rocks it helps you know what is in that particular area of the stream , some sections have alot of one species and not many of another .

Posted on: 2010/3/10 21:13

From Lewistown
Trout slammer I was only talking about nymphs.

And if one section has a lot, downstream will shortly.

My point is......
You can flip a million rocks, but you'll never see ANYTHING that looks like a zug bug, or most other nymphs that people carry.

I can see doing it if you have immitations for specific insects, but you can't buy those in most fly shops.

Also, just because it's March doesn't mean there aren't sulphur nymphs swimming around. They are there, just smaller than in June.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 22:28

From Schwenksville
This thread is really funny. RLeep hasn't had luck with silver beads or red copper johns. I tie all my flies with silver or gunmetal beads and have had great days with red copper johns.
The scud was a fly I would have mentioned last year if this topic was brought up but I've seen the error of my ways. Last October I started fishing scuds and have caught a bunch of fish on them. I now have one tied on probably 75% of the time. Zug bugs have never really produced for me. I don't think I have even 1 in my box. Prince's nymphs have been good to me at times but only when I've used cdc instead of biots for wings. And the muddler, to me, is a waste of fly box space.

Posted on: 2010/3/11 8:19

Most prince nymphs are tied with biots that are too big and wide and make the fly out of proportion to anything natural. Also, the tails and wings are generally tied far too long and the bodies are far too fat. Shorten the tails and actually tie the wings as little stubs - you just might find a big difference in the way it fishes. If you don't tie clip the tail to shorten and clip the wings to stubs.

Posted on: 2010/3/11 8:27

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com