Cicada flies for sale...

A

awojo

I am looking to buy a few Cicada flies. I typically tie most of my own flies but don't have the material to tie these and only want a few. Anyone know of a good place to get some? Any fly shops around the Danville, PA area have them?
Thanks for the help!!!

Try Fly Tiers Heaven in Sunbury 570-286-0332 they might be able to hook you up.

You don't have black foam and size 8 or 10 dry fly hooks? Lots of options for wing materials too. Orange buck tail, deer hair, krystal flash, etc.

Black foam, orange buck tail, and orange thread (optional) are all you really need to tie up some effective cicada patterns.

You can go to craft stores and get most of the material you need cheap. Michaels has foam 8x11 for .49c There's some really nice looking patterns floating around here to tie.

PennKev wrote:
You don't have black foam and size 8 or 10 dry fly hooks? Lots of options for wing materials too. Orange buck tail, deer hair, krystal flash, etc.

Black foam, orange buck tail, and orange thread (optional) are all you really need to tie up some effective cicada patterns.

I used #6 hooks during the 2008 emergence, and I know some other people did too.

I started out with #8s, but with the bulky foam body, the hook gape was partly closed, so I was missing a lot of strikes. With size 6 hooks, that problem went away.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. The "fly" below will work well, especially for SMBs.

Attachments

• cicada fly.jpg
    cicada fly.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 3
Profile correct, it seems.

A Letort cricket in the right size would probably work well, too.

afishinado wrote:
I wouldn't sweat it too much. The "fly" below will work well, especially for SMBs.

Based on my experience in 2008, it would probably work well on trout too. The only thing is that the foam and deer hair patterns cast better with 5 and 6wt lines and didn't twist up the leader like a popper often can.

The bottom line is that this is not a match the hatch situation, it is a go fishing right now cause you'll have to wait forever to do it again situation. If the cicadas are heavy in your area just get on the water with whatever large floating flies you've got.

Kev

Back