Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Chernobyl ant??

From Millersburg, PA
Tied some Chernobyl ants last night. Anybody have success with them at all? I don't usually have much luck with terrestrials but im hoping to change that. Also tied some caddis, pt nymphs, and some ants. Hope I can get out for some trout soon.

Posted on: 7/10 13:36

Re: Chernobyl ant??

From Hummelstown
I use ants, hoppers, crickets and beetles for a good portion of the summer with very good success in my opinion. The trick I have found is to keep the casts close to the bank. If they refuse your fly try to make your terrestrial but the water a little bit harder. Seems to entice a strike at times.

Posted on: 7/10 16:22

From Pittsburgh
While preparing for a trip to the green river in utah, I read about chernobyl ants being a hot fly there. So, I tied some on #10 long shank hooks. And did pretty well on them. That was 10 - 15 years ago now, and I really haven't tried them anywhere else.
Although, I have read - and heard - reports from others about having some success with them here in PA.
Should be worth a try I guess

Posted on: 7/10 23:48

From Lewistown
Not necessarily Chernobyl ant but I have a ton of success with a black foam ant most of the warmer months.

Just a tiny strip of craft foam tied to a size 16 hook with a a few legs tied in.

Usually I fish it behind a dry fly indicator because it will sink just below the surface. Usually there is a fish interested within 2 seconds of it hitting the water.

Posted on: 7/11 7:58

From Millersburg, PA
Thanks mkern, so do you fish it on a dropper set up? Just making sure i understand. How long of a drop leader do you use?

Thanks to everyone else for your input too

Posted on: 7/11 9:12

From York, PA
I fish ants and other really small or hard to see dries as a dropper as well. I like to fish them about 15-20" behind a big visible dry like a hopper or high profile hackled fly like a wulff style or elk hair caddis.

Posted on: 7/12 21:03

From Lewistown
Yeah I drop it off a bushy dry fly or a parachute with a orange or yellow chute.

Usually there's about a foot between the two.

You can fish it solo but it is hard to detect strikes over ten feet away.

As a side note: I was always skeptical about ants and their productivity, but in June I catch a ton of fish with them.

Posted on: 7/12 21:05

From Hunker
Every now and then when the fish are not hitting the norms , sometimes a big Chernobyl ant is just the trick to entice a strike. I think it's all about location when fishing terretrials, look ahead for the large branch overhanging the stream, plop a Crowe Beetle or Ant under (closer to the bank) ,bridges are also good locations.

Posted on: 7/12 21:51
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Gettysburg
While I don't use the exact Chernobyl Ant pattern, I do fish a lot of foam hoppers and crickets with considerable success. This fly, based on it's size, is really more analogous to a cricket rather than an ant.

Posted on: 7/13 8:48

From State College
I'm not a big fan of chernobyls (or foam in general) But for sure it is closer to a hopper

Wet ants are my go to, I fish them just like I generally fish a soft hackle, cast upstream, mend accordingly, and watch the fly line tip for any movement.

Posted on: 7/13 12:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com