Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Cheap functional fly vise for bigger flies?

From Southwestern NY
I'm looking into tying flies, been losing way too many, and don't have access to many "large" flies in the shops around me...

Looking to tie clousers, streamers and stuff like that, I live on the side of a lake n do not wish to catch sunnies! Lol.

What's a great base version or budget fly tying kit for these if there is one?

Thanks in advance, DJ

Posted on: 2012/8/27 8:02

Re: Cheap functional fly vise for bigger flies?
From Chester County
Here is a recent thread about the subject that may help:

Fly Tying - getting started

Posted on: 2012/8/27 8:10

Edited by afishinado on 2012/8/27 8:34:00

From Gettysburg
DJ,
For a good starter vise for large flies, I'd recommend one of the Cabelas vises like the Master Vise. Since you're interested in mainly streamers....you might opt out of the tying kit and instead go to a fly shop and tell 'em the patterns you're interested in and the hook sizes and focus just on those materials. Certainly for starts, you'll want some dumbell weights, deer hair (2 or three tails in your preferred colors), marabou (3 or 4 clumps of preferred colors, I recommend black, white, olive and chartruese) and maybe some crystal flash or some sort of tinsel like synthetic. Again, I'd strongly recommend visiting a shop where you can actually see these products and get a feel for what they're called and what properties they have. Or at least make your order from a catalog or website as there are TONS or tying materials and many are very similar and you'll need specific information to place an order

Posted on: 2012/8/27 8:22

From Chester County
Since your interest is tying Clousers minnows, buying this material kit from Bob Clouser may be a good start:

http://www.clouserflyfishing.com/clousdeepmin.html

Posted on: 2012/8/27 8:36

From Southwestern NY
Thanks guys that clouser kit sounds like the perfect start. And well sadly there is a great fly tying place here in my town the guy doesn't care for fishing much... So I'll need a grocery list before I go in then finding it lol...

And in my corner of tying there is a guide up here that's awesome at tying and actually has 4 clousers in a box pretty much a display box. These four were actually tied by clouded himself! Pretty cool to see those with my own eyes!

Posted on: 2012/8/27 9:06

From Danville
If you are looking for a great deal on a vise go to Qualiflyproducts.com. I got my vise there and you can't get a vise of that quality for less. There is a nice tool kit as well.

Posted on: 2012/8/27 13:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com