Cheap functional fly vise for bigger flies?

D

DJBerg

I'm looking into tying flies, been losing way too many, and don't have access to many "large" flies in the shops around me...

Looking to tie clousers, streamers and stuff like that, I live on the side of a lake n do not wish to catch sunnies! Lol.

What's a great base version or budget fly tying kit for these if there is one?

Thanks in advance, DJ

DJ,
For a good starter vise for large flies, I'd recommend one of the Cabelas vises like the Master Vise. Since you're interested in mainly streamers....you might opt out of the tying kit and instead go to a fly shop and tell 'em the patterns you're interested in and the hook sizes and focus just on those materials. Certainly for starts, you'll want some dumbell weights, deer hair (2 or three tails in your preferred colors), marabou (3 or 4 clumps of preferred colors, I recommend black, white, olive and chartruese) and maybe some crystal flash or some sort of tinsel like synthetic. Again, I'd strongly recommend visiting a shop where you can actually see these products and get a feel for what they're called and what properties they have. Or at least make your order from a catalog or website as there are TONS or tying materials and many are very similar and you'll need specific information to place an order

Since your interest is tying Clousers minnows, buying this material kit from Bob Clouser may be a good start:

http://www.clouserflyfishing.com/clousdeepmin.html

Thanks guys that clouser kit sounds like the perfect start. And well sadly there is a great fly tying place here in my town the guy doesn't care for fishing much... So I'll need a grocery list before I go in then finding it lol...

And in my corner of tying there is a guide up here that's awesome at tying and actually has 4 clousers in a box pretty much a display box. These four were actually tied by clouded himself! Pretty cool to see those with my own eyes!

If you are looking for a great deal on a vise go to Qualiflyproducts.com. I got my vise there and you can't get a vise of that quality for less. There is a nice tool kit as well.

Back