Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Caddis

From Harrisburg
I have been tying up some caddis flies and have a question. I have tied only elk hair caddis in brown, black and tan and am going to do green soon. With the brown and black I have used brown and black elk hair, so should I be tying them with the light elk hair also. I guess it would give them some more contrast. I was going to tie the green caddis with green body, ginger or brown hackle and light elk hair.

Posted on: 2008/3/6 7:19

Re: Caddis
From Dallastown, PA
For me, the EHC is a high floating, skittering fly. I rarely use them in flat still water unless I am skittering it. So I don't put alot of stock in the hair color.

If I am dead drifting a caddis, I like it to be a cdc to get the body closer to the surface film. Caddis rarely sit still on the water so a dead drift caddis is a dead caddis.

Tie them in a hair color you can see on the water.

As for the naturals. Black caddis have a dark grey wing, grteens have a light grey wing and tan caddis have a lt tan wing. Cinnamon (october caddis) have a medium tan, at least on my stream.

Posted on: 2008/3/6 7:49

Re: Caddis

From Pittsburgh
I tie 2 green bodied caddis, that have quite different appearances.
One is the large apple green one - which is actually in the grannom family, Brachycentrus - and hatches in late April on the north central freestone streams, and the Delaware river. It is large - #14 hook, - with a very light, cream colored wing. I use light green dubbing for the body, bleached deer hair for the wing, and cream hackle.

The other green caddis - Rhyocaphila - hatches on the limestone streams, beginning in early to mid May, and goes right thru the summer. It's smaller - #16. I use dark olive gray dubbing for the body. grayish brown deer hair for wing, and brown hackle

Posted on: 2008/3/6 9:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com