CDC March Brown Biot Parachute Emerger

SBecker

SBecker

I have never fished a March Brown hatch, but I am determined to this year on the D. I was basically looking for from someone that knows, are the colors correct? The biot is labeled as a March Brown Color and the dubbing is as well. What color are the wings?

Attachments

• March Brown.jpg
    March Brown.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 21
  • March Brown under.jpg
    March Brown under.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 3
  • March Brown rear.jpg
    March Brown rear.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 5
Looks really good to me. Real good. Especially from the bottom.

Really shiny hook or just photography?

Probably the flash. I did not add star bursts though. LMAO

I'll do the work for you
http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/529
Hope this helps.

And may I suggest a heavier shuck on your fly. The MB nymphs have shoulders and the shucks are thick

Troutnut has a good picture of the natural. Looks pretty good to me.

Thanks Gut, but when I Googled patterns, I saw a couple different colors, so it is the reason I asked. Was hoping some one with D experience would elaborate on the colors up there. Thanks

Appreciate it Jay.

Looks good! Always go with less than more, adding too much shuck makes it bulky and the shuck looks barely there on the naturals because its translucent. Your fly looks like a very good representation to me.

Weamers book has a pic I think. Don't think it shows the underside, though, which is a good bit lighter on a march brown.

If I remember right, the DRC spectrumized dubbing kit called for a light brownish yellow. Looked more like a creamy tan to me.

Weamers book has a pic I think. Don't think it shows the underside, though, which is a good bit lighter on a march brown.

If I remember right, the DRC spectrumized dubbing kit called for a light brownish yellow. Looked more like a creamy tan to me.

On Penns, I always took fish on a large yellow cdc and elk when mbs were on the water, but so were 18 kinds of caddis and six sizes of sulphurs too.

Bmarx, that is what I have been told and is the reason I did not use a lot.

Jay I have every color of DRC Spectramized dubbing, but I am always afraid to use it, because it does not look right lol.

Looks wonderful when wet. I was skeptical of the olive stuff, but damned if it doesn't turn to a buggy olive color when soaked.

Yea I am going to starting tying some up with it right now. Thanks for the color though, because I would have never guessed the light yellow brown.

Check the cards if you have them. I am not 100 percent sure that was the one. Also not 100 percent sure it matters, but meh.

Here it is with the DRC Spectramized dubbing.

Pattern: CDC March Brown Biot Parachute Emerger

Thread: Danville 70 deniere 6/0 Red Brown
Shuck: Orvis Zlon Brown
Biot: TCOMarch Brown Turkey Biot
Dubbing: DRC Yellow Brown Spectramized. (The other dubbing was Jacks Tackle Natureblend March Brown)
Wing: TCO Super Select CDC Natural Brown ( I am using 2 of these feathers in the Magic Tool)

I know I crowded the head, but it was because My thread broke on my whip finish. Even though I think it was fine, I did not want to chance it after all that work. lol SO, do not crowd the head when you tie this :)

Attachments

• Spectra March.jpg
    Spectra March.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Spectra March 1.jpg
    Spectra March 1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 3
  • Spectra March 2.jpg
    Spectra March 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Spectra March 3.jpg
    Spectra March 3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Spectra March 4.jpg
    Spectra March 4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 2
SBecker wrote:
I have never fished a March Brown hatch, but I am determined to this year on the D. I was basically looking for from someone that knows, are the colors correct? The biot is labeled as a March Brown Color and the dubbing is as well. What color are the wings?

Becker,

Here is a great article about MBs written by Paul Weamer. A lot of good info there.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/09/21/eastern-march-browns/

On the D, it can be tough to fool fish during the sporadic MB hatch that occurs. Dead-drifting may not work. Often the fish want to see some movement in the fly before they hit (they are smart devils up there). I rarely tie Catskill style flies anymore, but I do for MBs. I impart a little movement when the fly is a couple feet above a riser. This is often is the trigger for him to hit.

Anyway, your flies look fine, but tie some Catskills, Compara & Sparkle duns and parachutes, as well as wets (they work very well) and some emerger patterns for the D.:-o

Also, don't sweat the exact color, tannish/creamish with darker ribbing is close. Good luck.

Here is a photo of a March Brown I have and a CDC Dun that I tie up. Nice pattern SBecker.

Attachments

• DSCN1035 compressed.JPG
    DSCN1035 compressed.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 104 compressed.JPG
    104 compressed.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 5
afishinado wrote:
On the D, it can be tough to fool fish during the sporadic MB hatch that occurs. Dead-drifting may not work.

My experience, although limited has been the opposite.
I have seen big browns that were actively feeding on light and dark grannoms whack my MB (and each natural that came in the feeding lane).

Often the fish want to see some movement in the fly...
Absolutely!

It looks like your choice of hooks might not be the best for an MB. They tend to float a little more horizontal than a 2488 or 2487. A better hook choice might be TMC 5212 #12 or 14 (2xl/1xf wire) or 200R #14 or 16 (3xl curved shank/std wire).

I tie my MB with a light dun CDC surrounded by some mallard for the look of veination. The white wing will make the fly more visible, however.

Remember, the larger flies are easier to be scrutinized by a seasoned fish while the smaller flies can have way less detail

Very nice fly Becker. I think that the obvious segmentation and color of the abdomen are a key trigger, and you nailed it. Thorax color is probably not as critical within a reasonable range. What I would worry about with this pattern more than color is silhouette. The flys you posted are nicely executed, but the CDC parachute is going to create an unnatural chaotic looking halo around the fly. Some of the fibers look to be almost twice the body length. For this reason, I prefer either a CDC loopwing or just a post of CDC tied at a bit of a forward angle rather than the CDC parachute. If I was going to tie the parachutes, I would keep the CDC fibers to about body length at maximum and use as little CDC as possible.

That will never catch a fish i can see the barb from outerspace . other then that its a pretty good representation i would say a little lighter on the abdomen but thats me

afishinado wrote:

Also, don't sweat the exact color, tannish/creamish with darker ribbing is close. Good luck.

Bingo. Afish is right on with this. I have had success on the D blind casting comparaduns and parachutes in the riffles. the hatches I fished weren't heavy and I know sometimes they can be up there but a lot of times the March Browns trickle off and the fish look for them so don't be afraid to blind cast into likely holding water. Same goes for Isos.

Back