Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Butter Worm

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Osprey the crane fly larva do get big on the larger crane flies. I have seen small sz.18 and lg. sz. 12 insects. The water worm I can't find my old pics will have to do some searching. They breath through what I think you mean is the mouth which actually is the butt. Living close to shore they are able to raise it up to the surface for air. I have most in slow moving water, You wonder why the olive bugger works so good???

here ya go !

Attach file:

jpg  water beetle.jpg (6.28 KB)
112_4d0a337ed1a3b.jpg 200X188 px

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:31

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Gloversville, NY
Sandfly, in Upstate New York, I have yet to find a cream, or yellow cranefly. In my area they are all dark to light green, or brown. They are large, much large than most of the hellgremites. I wish I had a photo of one of ours I could post.

I'll have to find one, but with most of our streams are running with ice cold water by now, I don't know how much rock flipping I'll do for them any time soon.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:35

patriotfly26,
All depends on species and mineral content of water. They have results found that insects will have a different colorization sometimes as a result of the minerals in the water, IE; spring creek vs. free stone streams. I have seen in flies like the crane flies, and B.W.O.'s.
Are you seeing Hellgramites or Alder fly larva ??
hellgies are a lot larger than Alder fly's.
some streams have more of one species and less of the other. competition for food. They are very close in shape and form but hellgies are larger. One reason to know some entomology basics to be able to match the insects that the fish are feeding on.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:46

From Johnstown, PA
SandFly.........I've seen what they call Crane Flies here that are 2" long in the larval stage and the adult stage , there is one on Clarks Creek that gets that big that drives those trout nuts , they follow them and try and jump and catch them , It's wild to watch.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:49

The giant crane fly size 12+. check out Jason's (troutnut.com) he has some good pics of them.

The water beetle pic I posted is as fat as your pinkie and 3-4" long. have it preserved in a bottle.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:54

From Johnstown, PA
jayL........the niti1 was invented out west here in St. Michael Pa by Mr. Pcola who has passed on but his kids still make the lure , my uncle used to fish the niti1 on a fly rod and kill 'em on Yellow creek and some of the tribs. The small black one with the red stripe seems to be the one that works best , I don't use them anymore but when I did the smallmouth loved 'em too. Can I ask how you got into the niti1 out there in the east?

Posted on: 2010/12/16 11:09

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Osprey, we have them out here in the LV area as well.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 11:21

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Bozeman
Quote:

osprey wrote:
jayL........the niti1 was invented out west here in St. Michael Pa by Mr. Pcola who has passed on but his kids still make the lure , my uncle used to fish the niti1 on a fly rod and kill 'em on Yellow creek and some of the tribs. The small black one with the red stripe seems to be the one that works best , I don't use them anymore but when I did the smallmouth loved 'em too. Can I ask how you got into the niti1 out there in the east?

Mail order straight from the manufacturer. I probably still have a stack of order forms somewhere at my dad's house.

I think I first encountered the lure at the harrisburg outdoor show. I was skeptical, but bought a half dozen. My dad got me two dozen every christmas for the next 7-8 years (and of course managed to steal 10 of them over the year for his own use). I even sold one to a guy for $10 once after I used one to legally catch a large trout that he had snagged and lost a number of times that day. He was shocked that it ate the lure.

I had exactly one left this year, so I decided to head out on opening day and use it. I got snagged and lost it around 2pm, having caught 60+ trout with it that day. I was satisfied and went home. I might order one for next year.

To this day, 3 out of my 5 largest trout have come on that lure.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 11:23

Snaggers !

Posted on: 2010/12/16 11:27

From Bozeman
I always preferred michigan crickets for snagging pellet pigs. Too hard to snag them with the killer... they were too busy chasing it.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 11:30

From Johnstown, PA
I think Mr Pcolas first name was Anthony , anyhow a friend and I tried to buy them at a rate and sell them in the Harrisburg area and he would not budge an inch on the individual price and I don't blame him they really are an awesome lure. The last time i used one was on Oppossum Lake in Cumberland county and I had a few 20+ days. I also remember when he first started to promote them at the Outdoors Show at the Farm Show building in Harrisburg , he had that little rectangular tank that he demonstrated them in.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 11:44

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I might order one for next year.

Sounds like Becker has a source in LV so you don't have to order.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 23:42

From Bozeman
Meh. I always enjoyed the allure of answering "where'd you get that damn thing?" with a business card sized piece of paper with some random person's address.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 8:58

From SEPA
Image searches don't seem to help, what is the Niti-1? A little spoon?

Posted on: 2010/12/17 10:08

From Bozeman
Kind of.

It's hard to see in this pic, but here they are:

Resized Image

They are 1.5 inches long or so and elongated. Half is folded like a taco, and there's a little triangle fin in there. They also have a red "hot spot".

idk. They work better than anything I have ever seen.

Edit: the image is google cached, but no longer there. Do an image search for "niti-1 trout killer" and you will see.

Posted on: 2010/12/17 10:14

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com