Bunny Trico Spinner

dc410

dc410

I stopped by one of my favorite early season trico spots today and was not surprised to see some trico spinners on the surface and many trout feeding with sipping riseforms. I couldn't resist. Put on my "go to" trico tandem which is a size 22 bunny trico spinner dropped off the bend of a #18 Griffiths Gnat. I brought six fish to hand and lost a handful of others in about an hour period. I actually caught my first trout on a trico in the same run last year on May 14! I was really not surprised to see the early trico activity. The Griffiths Gnat/Bunny Trico tandem has been a very productive set up for me over the years. All fish today were caught on the spinner on the point. I usually start the trico season using 5X tippet. When they get more picky I switch to 6X and will go to 7X if I need to but I really don't like to because of the warmer temperatures and the stress on the fish. After 7X, I switch to 2X and get out my Clousers, Buggers and Poppers and get after those smallies.

The bunny trico is a great pattern and super easy to tie. I tie them on a size 22 #2488 Tiemco (curved shank, straight eye) hook. All you need is 8/0 Black Thread, fine black dubbing and light dun snowshoe rabbit hair. I never took the time to put tails on them because they seem to work great for me without them and it saves a lot of time when tying. Give 'em a shot on your favorite trico stream this season. Good luck!

Attachments

• Bunny Trico top.jpg
    Bunny Trico top.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 11
  • Bunny Trico bottom.jpg
    Bunny Trico bottom.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 5
Nice pattern ... I have that one in my trico arsenal... I also tie one with a white or light olive abdomen and black thorax

Nice tie John, thanks for the pattern and info on it.

Back