Bunny Mink Sculpin

dc410

dc410

Over the past two years PAFF has allowed me to rekindle some old friendships and make many new ones. The ability to share ideas and experiences is IMO one of the greatest benefits of this on line community.

At the Jam earlier this year at Seven Mountains I got to meet and fish for the weekend with our own lv2nymph. Jack kind of took me under his wing and shared a lot of information with me as we fished the Little J, Penns and Spring Creek that weekend. Jack also clued me in to one of his favorite fly tying materials - mink fur. I received a huge amount of mink fur in various color phases in the mail one day from Jack. Mink fur has some great characteristics in how it looks and moves when in the water. He ties up a beadhead mink nymph that is an absolute "fish catcher". While sitting at my vise recently I came up with another application for the mink fur. Here is how I tie the Bunny-Mink Sculpin.

I tied these on a #4 3XL Nymph hook, straight cut rabbit strip for the tail and back, Mink fur for the body (tied in using a dubbing loop, brushed out and trimmed on the bottom) and clumps of mink fur tied in for the pectoral fins. The head is a size small (olive or brown) sculpin helmet. I wrapped the hook shank with small diameter lead wire to help sink these flies straight to the bottom where the sculpins hang out. They ride hook point up creating less hang ups as they are bounced along the bottom, in between weedbeds and through undercuts. They can be tied in almost endless color combinations to match the sculpins in your favorite stream. If you happen to see some old mink furs being sold for next to nothing at the local garage sale ..... buy them!

Thanks again, Jack. I hope you smash a big brownie with one of these flies.

Attachments

• Bunny Mink Sculpin 2.jpg
    Bunny Mink Sculpin 2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 13
Nice flies, those will move some fish!

Ooohh I like that

Those look great John, +1 for Jack he's helped me out a good deal and he is a great guy.

Two thumbs up - I love it!

John, you are too kind. Those flies are awesome, I love them. Can't wait for them to get to the house, I know right where I'm taking those bad boys for a swim. I think your flies are innovative and I like the way you think at the vise, wish we lived closer so we could get together and tie. Looking forward to the next jam to hit the streams again. Thanks for the streamers they will not be dry long...

Brian now that schools back in we have to get out and fish. Been thinking about that for awhile. A little tying wouldn't hurt either.

Real nice looking flies. Great color choices.

GenCon

Man that black one is a dead on stonecat. Bass Candy on the Juniata River.

Flies came today, the pics don't do them justice. Really nice John, can't wait to get them wet. What size are the sculpin heads? they are a great size.

Jack,

Glad to hear you got them. I figured they should have been there yesterday or today. I used the size small sculpin helmets. On the pack it says they are for size 2,4 or 6 hooks. Your flies are tied on a size 4 - 3XL nymph hooks. They were a bit snug when I fitted them over the turn down eye. When tying flies using sculpin helmets it is important to leave enough room between the materials and the eye for the head. Also, test fitting the head is very important before applying any super glue or Zap-a-Gap. Hopefully with the big brownies moving around this time of year and tying on the feed bag you can get into one with one of these streamers. Good luck!

Back