Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Brand new fly tier

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
All the help is greatly appreciated guys. I think i'm actually getting better. Always learning.... I think my dubbing is alot better. I've been trying to use less and it has helped me to pull the opposite end of the dubbing to put some tension on it also as i wrap with my thread. Tied a bugger the other day, and my wife(not the she's an expert by any means) said, "that's your best one yet" so i guess that's promising. One thing i'm still having trouble with is the whip finish. I kind of have the general idea down but what i'm having trouble with is my hackle. When i tie the final knot i'm getting my hackle all tied up in it. Is that a cause of tying everything too close to the eye, (which I have tried to fix that problem) or is there an easier way of doing it?

Posted on: 2007/1/12 12:12

From Southeast PA
I'm not sure I understand what your problem is with the hackle, but I'll take a stab at answering. When you get done wrapping the hackle, make a couple of thread wraps around it at least a hook eye width back from the eye, then clip the excess off close to the thread wraps, then make some more thread wraps over where it was cut to cover it up so you just have a smooth thread section. I know what you mean about crowding the eye. That's something that I always have to try to avoid for some reason. Make sure you don't get any head cement on the eye. It's a real pain when you can't get your tippet through it when you're on the stream.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 12:49

let me try to explain... stole this pic from the swap... see how the hackle is by the eye (like most of my dries), when i tie the whip finish i get all that hackle tangled up in my knot, or if i just tie some hitch knots (when i can't whip it cause i'm still not that good at it). I usually get my bodkin out and try to pick it out of the knot before it tighten it, but prob need 3 hands for that. I'm sure i'll get it eventually but any help will do.

Attach file:

jpg  CabAds.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/1/12 15:10

From Monessen, PA
Here are some suggestions:

1. try not to crowd the eye;
2. before whipping or hitching the head, stoke the hackle back away from the eye, it will fluff back shortly;
3. I used to have a small sheet of thin cardboard with a small hole bored into the center and a slit going out to the edge, you can slip it over the thread and then used it as a "shield" to push back the hackle, then whip in front of it (I don't do this anymore as it is too much trouble and i've got better at finishing the hackle far enough back not to bother);
4. As a last, but simple, measure, don't worry about trapping some of the hackle under the whip wraps, just trim them away with your scissors when you are done.

In case that device mentioned in #3 isn't clear, I drew a quick sketch below.

Attach file:

jpg  hackleshield.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/1/12 16:01

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Lewistown
I second Jack's Hackle shield. I have never used one but it sounds like it would solve you problems. All fly shops should carry them, most are inexpensive and come in a pack of 3 didferent sizes. If you are frustrated and can't correct your problem, it may be worth the 5 bucks to end your frustration.

P.S. Nice drawings Jack.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 21:21

ok off the subject... I have tied several nymphs similar to this because... well It was the first thing I ever caught a fish off of and frankly I like it for that very reason. However, I have no clue what it is and this picture isnt quite right.(stole pic from cabela's) In every nymph value pack I bought it had one it it. Lets see if I can explain it. (or the picture too). Has peacock as the tail and body, on the underside is a dark brown feather, maybe pheasant, sometimes a beadhead and a white feather or paper substance on top, both top and bottom pieces maybe 1/4 inch. Close to the pic I posted but not quite, it doesnt have the red hackle. What is the name of this thing and what are the good times of the year to use it??

Attach file:

jpg  nymph.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/1/15 16:07

From Monessen, PA
Could be the zug bug
Resized Image

or maybe the prince nymph
Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/1/15 16:49

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Chester County
As Jack mentioned, it is a zug bug. It a decent attractor pattern and simple to tie. You can also tie it with a bead head. Attached is the recipe:

http://www.westfly.com/patterns/wet/zugbug.shtml

Good luck.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 8:56

From Monessen, PA
Thanks for posting that Westfly link. I haven't visited there in a while and they have really upgraded their imitations section.

Posted on: 2007/1/16 11:20

-- Leo Tolstoy

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com