Bonefish snacks...

elonDO

elonDO

Starting to prepare fly box for first trip to Bahamas for Bonefish. Will be fishing North Andros/Joulters in May 2014. Still waiting on some hooks in the mail from Allen Fly Fishing to try out. Also need to make a run to TCO Reading or another fly shop to pick up some materials that I couldn't find at Bass Pro.

photo1_zps22892aad.jpg

-Bonefish snacks in my Risen fly box

photo2_zps8e790305.jpg

- Crazy Charlies, Bonefish Clousers, Jeff's Bonefish Shrimp, Scampi

photo3_zps603966b0.jpg

- White Tigers, Maya's Shrimp, Gotchas

Any other recommendations of what to throw in the box???

Very nice, lots of time at the vise. Good luck on your trip. Looking good. How many times have you hooked a nice one while tying for this trip ? :-D

elonDO wrote:
Any other recommendations of what to throw in the box???

A very nice collection - I'd say you have most bases covered.

I'd add some small crab flies in sand and olive green colors. The conventional wisdom with flats flies is to match the bottom color so olive works well if there is turtle grass or dark corals. The Bahamas are know for their open sand flats so some light colored crabs would "match the hatch." Bonefish flies for the tropics are also generally smaller and lighter (in weight) than Keys patterns. Anyway, don't forget the crabs (you might get some shots at permit as well). Finally, I'd add a couple cuda flies and maybe a big orange marabou streamer for small sharks. Both of these will require a wire bite leader of course.

Most of the flies in that box are size 6, a few of the Gotchas are size 2 I think. I'm going to have a variety of size 2, 4, 6. A guide I know from North Carolina who went on the trip last year recommended those sizes. Most of the flies have small to medium bead-chain eyes. Some of the larger flies have small lead eyes to get down deep when needed.

May cannot come fast enough!

The Joulter's has some huge bones, rivaling The Keys. However, most are typical Bahamian fish in the 2-4 pound range.
The permit will probably be off shore spawning in May, so I wouldn't count on them at all. There may be a few resident tarpon, but again, highly unlikely to see many (any) when you are bonefishing.
If you plan to fish the deeper flats in a boat, you will see the big ones. And I mean 8-10 pounders. For those toads, all of your flies are too small and too light.
You want a size 2 (or even 1/0) with with heavy lead eyes, a subdued color and a large profile to get down fast and represent a good meal.
I have had success in that region with extra wide bunny strip "gotcha" type flies. I can post a photo if you like.
The other flies will work, and work well on the wadable flats. Nice job on them.
Good luck.
It's been too long since I've been to Andros. Now you've got me thinking. Hmm...

Hey Gutcutter- I'd love to see a photo of the fly you mentioned whenever you get a chance. We'll be wading the flats mostly, but some days floating from the boat. Thanks!

Here is a small sample of what you might want to have in North Andros.
IMGP0080_zpsaaee6632.jpg

Big bones love bunny, EP fibers, rubber and kip tail.
But most of all, they love crabs.

Great ties and glad you like the boxes. Get some pictures up here after your trip!

Pretty envious of the upcoming trip. Nice ties. Like lv2 said, the anticipation while tying at the vise must be great too

Back