Bobbin Holder management

billfrech

billfrech

I have started accumulating several bobbin holders. I mean the tool used to put the thread on the fly, not the spools of thread.

My question is how do people manage the bobbins on their fly tying bench. I am looking for a way to keep thread on them and have them readily available for use.

I think Oasis makes a stand that hangs the bobbins by the thread from a spring. This doesn't look practical to me.

All thoughts or ideas appreciate.

drill holes in wood !

Attachments

• DSCF0194 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0194 (400x300).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0192 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0192 (400x300).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 14
I use a simple bobbin tree I made.

Take a 3/4" wooden dowel 16" long. Drill 1/4" holes through the larger dowel and space the holes every 4" from the top.

Take 1/4" dowel 6" long and push them through the holes. (I use four "branches).

Use a 4" x 4" piece of 1" wood for a base and drill and attach it to the base.

Mine holds 7 fully loaded bobbins and takes up very little room on my tying bench.

i have an oasis bench and utilize the holes already in it

thread_zps8h5iwvpu.jpg

more ideas

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+fly+tying+bobbin+holders&biw=1600&bih=775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP74qnuZjKAhUDzz4KHQD2C7oQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=fly+tying+bobbin+holder+rack

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+fly+tying+bobbin+holders&biw=1600&bih=775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjP74qnuZjKAhUDzz4KHQD2C7oQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=fly+tying+tool+caddy

drill a series of holes in a 2x4 and be done with it

or

6053771908_e7ba709000.jpg

i'm currently looking at something like this

Pen-holder-600x522.jpg

61tz2hifool__sl1024_.jpg

ooops you said bobbins not bottles

Thanks everyone. I particularly like the last picture from nfrechet, I may have to try that one.

A few years back I received the Cabella's rotating tool caddy for Xmas. It works just fine for me, but is expensive at $50. Now I would go with the 2x4 approach.

I know there is a chance of overkill, but here goes on the bobbin holder: the first one I made looked similar to Sandfly's and worked quite well. After some time, I realized I needed more bobbin holders, and thus a bigger space to store them. Because space is at a premium, due to all the other crap on my desk, I made a two tier rack (not that kind) of equal length pieces with dowel rods supporting the top shelf. Depending upon the length of the bobbins you are using, allow adequate space between the shelves to easily remove the bobbins on the bottom shelf. Drill adequate holes in each shelf piece to fit the bobbin ends. Most ceramic bobbins have a slightly larger end, too. Drill slightly bigger holes in the bottom shelf for the dowel rods and the underside of the top shelf...if these holes are drilled cleanly and precisely, you do not need to glue the dowels, making dis-assembly easy. Also you may find it helpful to drill the bottom shelf holes at a slight angle to make bobbin removal even easier. Unused holes can also be used to store other tools, such as whip finisher, hackle pliers, etc. This two tier approach works efficiently and conserves space, and best of all it fits my motto:
do nothing in moderation, do everything to excess (applies to other facets of life, as well). Make sense???

I just use the holes in my portable bench but chromed gave me an idea with the bobbin tree. My idea is to just take the 3/4 dowel, leave out the branches and just drill 45 degree holes in the 3/4" dowel. Like a lolly pop tree. A 16" dowel should hold 20 or 30 bobbins by itself with a very small footprint.

Renzetti Tool Caddy:

744509.uts

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Renzetti-Tool-Caddy-II/744509.uts?productVariantId=1587176&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=36-155344826-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=30020499&rid=20

Back