Bluefish Flies With Thru-Wire Construction

F

Fishidiot

Flies for toothy critters that require wire construction have had me experimenting for years. While I haven't been able to get to the beach and chase bluefish as much as I'd like this year, I did throw together some bluefish flies recently. Blues, esp big choppers (fish over several lbs) respond well to large flies with bulk and bright colors. Due to their strong jaws and tendency to seize flies or lures mid body.....a single, barbless hook at the rear of the fly or lure works best IMO. Stay away from trebles with blues as they're very tough to unhook. Anyway, here's my current concept for bluefish flies. It utilizes 30-40# wire and three crimps. Note the split ring at the front of the bite leader - this allows a better knot connection and prevents the wire itself (which can be rough) from cutting the mono. I do this now with all my wire leader flies. For smaller blues of the summertime variety, just scale this fly down in size to about a 3" fly body size. For the bigger guys I like a fly with a 4-6" body length

STEP 1:
Crimp the hook - you'll want about 5-8" total length depending on fly size and how much length you want for the bite tippet. I like a single, sturdy, barbless hook that is honed needle sharp. At the top of the pic you can see the set-up before the tube is installed.

STEP 2:
Slip the rubber sleeve on to the leader. For this application, I use 1/8th inch rubber tubing. The tube protects the hook crimp a bit and keeps the hook from flopping around and snagging the fly during casting. It also provides some additional color and protection from teeth and pliers as well as keeping the fly in a fairly straight form.

STEP 3:
Put a crimp (or two) at mid leader where the approximate head of the fly will be tied, then crimp the split ring eye.

STEP 4:
Place the set-up in your vise by clamping the vise jaws over the crimp itself - this is tricky and is why having two crimps can make things easier. You will then start your thread head over this crimp and build it up enough that you have a base to tie the rest of the fly. By tying the head over a crimp this way, you can prevent the problem of the fly sliding up and down the wire. I like deer hair with lots of flash and a small, clipped head.

There are, of course, many ways to approach this style of fly. Experiment with what works best for you.

Attachments

• Bluefish1.jpg
    Bluefish1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 5
Wouldn't this be a good place to tie a tube fly and simply slip it onto a wire leader?

You sort of have, except you've opted to tie onto the leader itself, but you've already got the tube in the design... Just move the tie to that?

gfen wrote:
Wouldn't this be a good place to tie a tube fly and simply slip it onto a wire leader?

Yep.
I've not experimented much with tube flies but using this wire set-up, or something similar, would be very easy with tube flies.

Thanks for posting this, it looks like a nice approach. I enjoy learning about how tyers think about their patterns. Knowing nothing about salt or tube fly's, I wonder if soft tubing might give you a bit more wiggle in the body than tying on a tube.
Mike.

That is a great set up for blues. Thanks for posting it.
Before articulating flies and 60-80 pound fluorocarbon became popular, I had a similar setup for my Muskie flies. This was back in the mid 1990s. I used a 4/0 saltwater hook and piano wire. A small 3 turn haywire twist connected the two and I tied the rear half of the fly on the hook and the front half on the wire. The small haywire didn't allow the hook to swing side to side much. The wire served as a bite tippet and I attached that to the class tippet with an Albright knot.
The fly wound up about 8" long and laid down straight every time.

I do the 50 to 80 pound leaded. it last as long as the flies. personally I don't really like wire unless its my last option. when blues are around there is a chance that bass are as well. in my surf experience the bass hate wire. that's why I stick with fluoro or mono.

why not make the game changer flies, you can place your hook where ever along the length and add a section in front to protect your tippet. cheaper and easier than wire crimps.

gutcutter has it right for the other style, we did this back in the 70's for toothy fish.. piano wire was a normal way of adding protection. there are a lot of Steinways that are missing some... lol

Back