Blue Quill

sandfly

sandfly

Since I have read where a lot of you don't like to do quill wings or quill bodies I decided to do one for you. wings are Rock dove and the body is Quill"Z" and the tail and hackle are dark dun. I tie this mainly for pressured water such as spring creek. thread is either tan or golden olive.

Attachments

• blue quill 001.jpg
    blue quill 001.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 8
Nice Bob
Is the body a reddish color ?,or is it just the picture ?

Reddish in color there henry. I do my own dying on the quill"Z" strips. won't take a water base dye though has to be a chemical cause its waterproof.

Quill wings are beautiful, but my issue is after a minute at the end of my hackneyed casts, it's just a blob of fibers anyways. :)

After tying them in then coat lightly with a flexible adhesive at the base will not shred.

Just at the base?

That's another interesting tip I picked up out of that Wulff book, presumably from dealing with materials from an earlier time. He seems to put a drop of laquer at the base of his hackle tie-ins before wrapping to help set the feahters in tighter and with more durability.

How do those wings hold up to being eaten? Pretty fly btw!

wulff and flick used the lacquer, Alpo they hold up great if you do as above. Oh yeah forgot that is a size 16 dry..

henry do you need a few quill"Z"

Blue quill is my all time favorite dry fly pattern. Of course the old timers would reinforce quill bodied fly's with fine wire, in palmer fasion.

Back