Biot recommendation

HopBack

HopBack

Any recommendations for a brand biots specifically used for tails when tying nymphs? Looking for something fairly stiff for larger stones and copper johns in size 10 or 12. I’m assuming that goose Biot would be the preferred choice over turkey for this type of application.

Thanks for the help!

Turkey biots are generally larger and goose biots can be a little too small for large flies.

Either should work OK for 10's and 12's.

PennKev wrote:
Turkey biots are generally larger and goose biots can be a little too small for large flies.

Either should work OK for 10's and 12's.

I usually buy turkey biots; like PK wrote above, they are generally longer than goose biots. Turkey biots can be used splayed tails as well as for fly bodies....a two-for.

I'm probably over-thinking things, but I've noticed longer biots (turkey) have a narrower taper and tend to be a bit too narrow for smaller sized nymph tails (ie, #16 -18 prince or CJ).

Referring back to the OP, I think Turkey biots will work just fine on the sizes mentioned.

It likely matters little to the fish.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
I'm probably over-thinking things, but I've noticed longer biots (turkey) have a narrower taper and tend to be a bit too narrow for smaller sized nymph tails (ie, #16 -18 prince or CJ).

Referring back to the OP, I think Turkey biots will work just fine on the sizes mentioned.

It doesnt matter at all [d]likely matters little[/d] to the fish.

:lol:

NewSal wrote:
Fly-Swatter wrote:

It doesnt matter at all [d]likely matters little[/d] to the fish.

:lol:

+1 ^

Fish'll never eat flies with skinny tails, especially when you are trying to match the Copper John hatch!! :lol:

I agree, fish don't care much (at all....usually....I think?). ;)

IMO, a good amount of fly tying is for the tier. That's OK. It's a craft.

Every early winter (ie, NOW), I start off with a plan to tie the basic flies in practical sizes and colors. Then I get an itch to be creative and my plan falls apart, starting....now!

Thanks for all of the advice!! My inquiry was more for what most of you already guessed..... I was looking for a Biot that looked the best from an asthetic presentation point but one that was also functional and would hold up for a decent period of time.

They are cheap enough, why not get a pack of turkey and pack of goose biots and see which you like best? I have both and have preferences for both. Goose for wings and tails and turkey for biot body nymphs but I usually tie in the size 14-16 range.

Back