Bench Light

D

dsleader

Curious as to what you guys use or recommend for tying. I currently use your basic desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb.

I'm looking for something that has a longer reach, so it doesn't need to be so close to where I'm tying, and better illumination.

Was at the HD today and all they have is something you might find on a 6th grader's desk.

Basically I'm looking for something that helps me tie better flies and catch more fish. :-D

D

i use a lamp sold by the nexten co, its a floor lamp and uses a special bulb, a four fold tube a very bright white light thats on a dimmer switch and also has a flexable neck , its sorta pricey think i paid around 150.00 but when you turn it off and use a regular light wow you can see the difference

dsleader,
As I am avid aquarium keeper I always have some kind of light laying around so I use a 13Watt compact Flourescent light made by red sea. The model I have has a flexible neck and a small clamp. I use a small 1 gallon aquarium as my trash can while I'm tying so I just clamp it onto there while I tie. The light I use can be found here http://www.redseafish.com/lighting.asp

I got the light from East Coast Aquatics on Chester Pike. I think it goes for 25.00

Hope this helps

Bob

I use two different lighting set ups. I have an overhear articulated drafting light from Staples, 55w quartz I think and an LED illuminated magnifying job from Cabellas. The magnafier is actually mounted to the vise and has a flexi stem so you can push it out of the way for bigger things. Works good for me and I'm tying down to 22 on ocassions.

I have a crane typr lamp that can extend over the fly. Seems to work well. I have, however, always wonderd about the illuminated magnyfiers. Maybe I'll see if I can find a fly shop that will let me tie a couple using one.
Coughlin

The magnafier works pretty good. I've used it without the overhead drafting light a few times, but the two together make it real easy. I tried tying the other day on an oak table with no back drop and just about lost my mind. The grain of the wood versus the fly pattern was almost too much. The squirrrly eyeball effect was what I used to look for when I was a teenager and, well, you know...

Back