Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Beginner fly tier

From Westmoreland Co
I'd say buying a kit isn't necessarily a bad investment. I don't remember the brand I got when I first started but it came with a cheap vise, some hooks of varying size and basic started material. I'd say it was actually beneficial as I could tie many easy standard flies such as pheasant tails, walts worms, a color range of buggers and quite a few different streamers. The cheap Thompson A vise type will hold flies quite well and is absolutely worth the price until you get a really good idea of what you like and what you want to upgrade to.

Like Tom said, don't count them out just do your homework and look into getting something with good tools and decent materials. I don't think you'll regret it.

Posted on: 2007/11/16 12:49

From Pottstown, PA
The Cabellas Premium kit or any of the Orvis kits is a good start. I know the old kits referred to with the weird dyed turkey and goose feathers and bucktails. Funny thing is those weird colors seem to work well on big saltwater flies.

Posted on: 2007/11/16 14:50

From York
I agree with MKern and.......if a new tyer can get lessons from a local flyshop--that's a huge help. I like the following two tying books: "Poul Jorgenson's Book of Fly Tying" and "The Universal Fly Tying Guide" by Dick Stewart.

Posted on: 2007/11/17 7:21

Just checked on here and I thought I'd let you know that I bought a cabelas vice and tool kit. I started out with some patterns that I looked up online. I tied some scuds, zebra midges, and BWO comparaduns. The scuds aren't as good as I'd like them to be because of the dubbing I used. I'll have to get some more of that, since I used dry fly dubbing. The zebra midges came out looking pretty nice. The vise as far as I can tell works good.it held all of my hooks to the point where I could bend them without it slipping. The only thing is it is not very adjustable. You cannot change the height. Also you cannot spin it to look at the other side of the fly without loosening the screw to the base. That doesn't really matter to me though. because it is in its own box with the tools, so I can just spin that because it is very small.

Posted on: 2007/11/17 13:09

From Pottstown, PA
Dubbung is a learned skill, the more you do it, the better you get. Almost everyone uses too much dubbing to start with. You want to just coat the thread very thinly and evenly, kinda like core spinning angora or whool for knitting and weaving. Get some dubbing wax, it helps. Keep working on one or two patterns until they come out looking like the book shots or as close as you can get. Don't get frustrated, it doesn't help in the end, just walk away from it for a while. The longer you tie, the more goodies you'll pick up. If you'd like to try a Renzetti rotary vice, let me know, I'm off Sunday and can give you or anyone directions to my place to sit and tie for a while.

Posted on: 2007/11/17 15:06

From Butler
just upping this topic for easier access for me.

good info!

Posted on: 2009/1/29 17:03

From Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Area
This is a great Site with dem tie in sum Patterns.

http://www.theanglersnet.com/Fly-Tyin ... os/archives.asp?section=6

Posted on: 2009/2/1 1:47

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com