Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Beginner fly tier
From Chester County
Buck Barrett wrote: “Go with what you can afford. I'm sure there are guys on this forum that can tie with their hands. Its not the tools, its what you can accomplish with what you have. I think you are asking questions like how many wraps, what type of feather, what type of dubbing, hooks, colors, etc. I suggest you save money on gear and buy books first and take lessons from a local flyshop. And, be ready to take on a lifelong hobby.”

If you can afford lessons at a fly shop, that will certainly shorten the learning curve, but lessons will be expensive. Perhaps someone who you know ties, or maybe someone on the board or at your local TU can help you get started. If you do decide to pay a few hundred dollars for lessons, the first thing the fly shop instructor will tell you is to get decent tools – at least that’s the advice I gave to the students I taught fly tying. Inevitably, some students would show up with Mickey Mouse tools, and I would lend some decent tools that I brought with me to get them started. When I first started tying I got a fly tying kit with cheap tools and materials. I almost gave up on tying flies because I thought it was impossible. Whenever I tried to put the proper amount on tension on the thread my cheap bobbin would cut it. My hackle feathers alternated from either breaking or slipping out of my hackle pliers. The hackle I used from the kit either twisted or had too much webbing to float a dry fly. My advice is to get a few decent tools that you can use for many years, instead of tools that don’t work right, cause frustration, and are a waste of money since you’ll end up replacing them before long.

Also a $40-50 book of illustrations and patterns would be nice – but expensive too. I’ll stand by my advice and suggest that you use the free internet from recipes and tutorials for tying flies, and learn one simple pattern at a time, rather than spending money up front on expensive books illustrating fly patterns and techniques you may never use. You can always buy the books later on.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=55

Go to your local fly shop and have them help you pick out the hooks and material to tie a few useful and simple flies like a GRHE and a wooly bugger, flies that I’m sure you currently use. Branch out and learn to tie a few other patterns, before long you will have the techniques down to tie most any pattern

Some basic tools and a minimum of materials will get you started. Also, try to find someone who ties to give you pointers on the basics. Good luck.

Posted on: 2007/9/28 8:04

Lots of great advice in this thread.........I appreciate it. What I'm probably gonna do is get an instructional DVD/Video and perhaps a couple of books. I think I'll get a decent Vise as I'm fairly confident I'll be in for life once I start.

Posted on: 2007/9/28 21:21

From philadelphia
my girlfriend(who is a better tyer than i)and i checked all over for a beginner kit to buy her brother's family.
the best value we could find was the cabella's kit for around $49.
i think it is a good idea to start with something like that until you know what you need.

Posted on: 2007/10/8 2:51

From philadelphia
my girlfriend(who is a better tyer than i)and i checked all over for a beginner kit to buy her brother's family.
the best value we could find was the cabella's kit for around $49.
i think it is a good idea to start with something like that until you know what you need.

Posted on: 2007/10/8 2:51

what about the orvis clearwater kit? I've been thinking about tying myself.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 19:13

From philadelphia
the orvis kit is nice but it is about twice the price of a nearly similar cabellas version.they're both nice really.
it sure beats how i started with sewing thread and hemostats as my vise.i used to put the hook into hemostats and the hemostats into a bench vise.
when i bought a kit at brinkmans,i was blown away.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 21:06

Cabela's sells some really nice fly tying kits. I'm only 14 and I bought a fly tying kit there and was tying wooly buggers, PT nymphs, and any other fly I fish with in only a number of weeks. Cabelas has a $20 tool kit with great tools and then you can buy the materials that you need to tie the flies that you want to tie instead of wasting money on the big kits with the materials you won't even use. Cabelas has some really nice quality tools and materials at great prices.

Posted on: 2007/11/8 11:24

From Pottstown, PA
Depends on what you're closer to, Ovis or Cabellas. They both have great entry level kits with good tools and the prices are close to the same.

Posted on: 2007/11/8 12:37

Guest_
Just another idea/thought, on this topic for you.

I know, that my fly shop still carries these, so I'm sure someone else should have them close to your location. I'm speaking of the "Tie-a-Fly" kits, that are available.

In each kit is enough material, (and "good" material at that), to tie up about 6 flies of one standard pattern. Like the kit for the "Adams", each one has the hooks, all the materials and very good instructions, with pictures and written instructions, to get the job done.

All, you need, is the thread, basic tools and a vise.

Posted on: 2007/11/8 15:10

would it be a bad idea to buy tools and a vise, and the materials I need for a pattern or two to start? then go from there? The only problem I've seen so far is that I don't know anything about the materials and there are so many of them! Maybe with a little help I could create a list of materials.

Posted on: 2007/11/8 17:18

From Pottstown, PA
Not a bad idea. Most everyone starts with a wolly bugger, so if you get the marabou, hackle, chenille, thread, hooks, weighting wire and head cement all you'll need is a vise, bobbin, bodkin, scissors, whip finnisher and hackle pliers. Don't forget an intro to fly tying book and you'll be on your way. Good luck, it's very addicting but not nearly as bad for you as some stuff.

Posted on: 2007/11/8 18:26

From philadelphia
good idea chstrcnty,although a kit is a way to get all the stuff you need at somewhat of a discount.
what am i saying ?you never get all the stuff you need.almost every new fly you come across has some "new" product that you can't live without.

anyway,if you tell us the fly you use and lose the most,we could tell you the hook and materials you need.you might already own some of the material in a sewing box or hardware drawer.

then all you need is a vise,bobbin holder,and a bic pen as a half hitch tool.you probably already have scissors :)

there are vises as cheap as $15 that are fine.

do you ebay?

Posted on: 2007/11/8 21:54

From philadelphia
BTW,and i'll probably repeat this at some point,i started catching more fish when i started tying.those trout seem to like them buggier than store bought.good luck.

Posted on: 2007/11/8 21:57

Which would you recommend out of these...standard fly tying tool kit

cabelas jack dennis fly tying kit

cabelas fly tying kit

obviously the first option would require me to get my own materials, but I don't really use most of the flies in the others.

Would a basic scud pattern be too difficult of a beginning pattern.
basic scud video

This one looked pretty simple, but what do I know

Posted on: 2007/11/9 16:44

I would also like to tie some midge nymphs

Posted on: 2007/11/9 20:49

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com