Beads

guppieguy

guppieguy

i am relatively new to fly tying, and I've been experiencing some problems with getting beads around the bend of my sproat hooks for nymphs, specifically smaller sizes (18+). I have heard that you can use the dry fly equivalent and it will be easier to get the bead around the bend, but I already have a decent supply of nymph/wet fly hooks. Is there any tips/tricks or something i may be doing wrong? It is not a devestating problem, its just annoying. i tried crimping the barb and that worked for some but not all. I currently am using beads for size 16 hooks, because I've found that i usually have to "bump up" to the bigger size bead to get it around the bend. but even that isn't working on 18+ sizes.

Any help?

Are you pinching the barb?

If you are not this will fix your problem.

Some times you can take your finger nail at the bottom and apply pressure. I would not suggest bending the hook out and re-bending this will cause weakness.

You may also want to crimp foreceps to the bead and pull it on with the metal tool.

Look into beads with the slot on the bottom as well.

hope this helps.

sproat hooks are not intended for beads....that being said mike above hit it..

im pinching the barb, but i either bend the hook or hurt my fingers trying to get it around the bend. I am realizing now why you say sproat hooks are not intended for beads. I have never tried the slotted beads, maybe that is something that i should look into.

What is baffling me is that some of the beads slide on easy, all of the others get stuck. I would say maybe 1 out of 5 slide on easy when the barb is pinched

guppieguy wrote:
im pinching the barb, but i either bend the hook or hurt my fingers trying to get it around the bend. I am realizing now why you say sproat hooks are not intended for beads. I have never tried the slotted beads, maybe that is something that i should look into.

What is baffling me is that some of the beads slide on easy, all of the others get stuck. I would say maybe 1 out of 5 slide on easy when the barb is pinched

if thats the case it might be the hook/bead tolerance that might be the problem

well for now the problem is avoided... i just settled on using 18 dry hooks.

the shank is slightly shorter, but for now I will manage. Live and learn i suppose. At this stage i feel it is more important to tie the pattern multiple times just for the sake of learning it and improving my skills....I've been tying for about 2 months. I completed a class at Neshannock Creek Fly Shop in January and have been tying like a fiend since!

Could be that you're using a larger bead than what is meant for the hook size. I mainly use tungsten beads and when I want some additional weight to a particular size fly, I use a proper size bead and either add another bead of smaller size or use lead wrap. I can cover the smaller bead with dubbing.

That's interesting, i would have never thought to dub over the bead.

From what I've found with the tungsten beads I've been using, i need to use the next size bigger that what the bead says it will fit, i.e bead for size 16 hook actually used on a size 14

but then again that also before i was told that sproat hooks aren't designed for beads..

Back