Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Bass flies

From Portage, PA
Sas, sent you a pm of a similar patter to the crayfish and how i tie my leeches, you could probably use some sort of black yarn and the fray out a few strands to give it the "buggy" look.

hope that help. Ill try and get that fly done up to give you a better idea.

good luck

Posted on: 2013/7/16 12:02

From Lancaster
My suggestion would be a black wooly bugger tied in the following fashion. Black rabbit strip for the tail. Black chenille body. Black, brown or grizzly hackle. Lead eyes tied in (Clouser style). You could also throw some of those rubber legs - tied in across the body at several locations before wrapping the chenille. Hang on! They won't be able to pass it up.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 13:57

From Ephrata, PA
That's pretty much how I do tie my buggers.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 14:07

From Ephrata, PA
Mike, didn't get a PM. Don't send me a crayfish pattern...I want to experiment. I got some idears based off your suggestions.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 15:10

From Portage, PA
Check and see if the pm went through no. Not sure why it would not work before.

I'll let your imagination run with it, then. Be sure and post up what you come up with. I am actually in the process of tying a few of my original crayfish, and can do one with the materials you supply as well. I am anxious to see what it would look like as well.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 15:45

From Ephrata, PA
Got it. Thanks.

I believe I'll be focusing on my typical black bugger, the white bunny, and the crayfish. That should get me through the morning drift on Saturday!

Posted on: 2013/7/16 15:48

From Portage, PA
had a guy show me some bass flies today. He had marabou and hackle tip tails with hackle wrapped tight for about 1/4" (tightly packed) then he cut flip flop foam, and the foam plastic puzzle pieces for kids and made some bodies. He poked a hole through the foam and pulled some rubber legs through. He said he was slamming smallies and farm pond bass with them. Seemed really simple to tie as well. He did them on streamer hooks.

Just a thought if you have some old flip flops laying around. ;)

Good luck. Post up some sucess pics

Posted on: 2013/7/16 16:16

From Ephrata, PA
Honestly the only thing I'm thinking of changing is tying the eyes, claws and antenna off the bend of the hook rather than behind the eye, have the tail extend past the eye of the hook, and instead of marabou for claws, I think I'll fashion some claws out of turkey feathers.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 16:35

From Portage, PA
The antenna and such is tied off off of the bend, and the tail is tied off at the eye. My step by step must have been mis-leading, or i miss worded.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 17:04

From Ephrata, PA
Okay my crayfish sucked. Show me what you mean.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 20:10

From Ohio
Rabbit strip clousers.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 22:59

From Ephrata, PA
Okay my second attempt at a crayfish turned out much better. I ditched the turkey feather for the shell, and used a strip of clear plastic, sort of like scud backing. Then I wrapped it tight with thin silver wire. Much better. I'll post a pic when I get home from work tonizight.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 8:20

From Portage, PA
"Okay my crayfish sucked. Show me what you mean."

That made me laugh a bit. I didn't get a chance to try it yesterday, but I imagine your fibers were getting wrapped up, twisting, or coming apart. If you have squatch fingers as well it may make using them tough.

When you grasp the turkey tail feathers angle your fingers with the turkey fibers. Before you cut them put your finger about 1/4" away from the base. Cut them and keep them held tight, i suggested holding your fingers with with fibers to add more area that you can keep them together. Tie them in first with a loose wrap or two then add pressure. You have to be careful when you wrap the chenille and hackle that you keep the feather in mind. Bumping those things can split them.

You can use some marker and color the plastic as well. One thing that made me think about the turkey feather, was that others had had expressed that they thought the natural skin looked too shiny to resemble a crayfish, and thought that might be a better sub-in material. Going off of their suggestion you may want to dull up the plastic.

Looking forward to the crayfish picture.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 12:57

From Lewistown, PA
Idk if you've gotten a similar suggestion yet, but I've been using a really simple pattern I found that the website called "jamies krazy carper". It caught a carp, but I also caught quite a few sunnies and smallmouth on it. Basically dumbell eye, yellow or orange dubbing (substitute chinelle), and a rabbit strip (I used a brown/olive) tied to the bottom of the hook so it's facing up in the water.

I've been trying to find a decent crayfish pattern to tie... So I'm looking for forward to that picture you're posting too.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 15:01

From Ephrata, PA
Here you go...I warned you, I suck at tying!

Attach file:

jpg  crayfish1.jpg (121.80 KB)
5329_51e761d94b965.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/7/17 23:33

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com