Basic Sulpher Pattern

P

PSH

I am trying to find a basic sulpher pattern. Anybody have one is effective?

PSH wrote:
I am trying to find a basic sulpher pattern. Anybody have one is effective?

You can go wrong with a parachute sulphur. It's fairly easy to tie and will catch you a lot of fish during the hatch, or even the spinner fall. Tie in size 12 - 18 (Yeah 12's, I saw some 12's on BFC during the Jam). HTH. Here's the link to a tutorial:

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/sulphurparachute.html

Just change the dubbing and hackle color and do it like this guy

Thanks for posting the video. I'm going to try that method for tying off the hackle. Looks very clean.

As for a basic sulpher pattern, I've done very well on comparaduns.

i posted a sulphur pic but it is the same as the video only i don't tie the hackle to the post

Thanks, guys. This helps a lot.

Here's my sulphur parachute -- killer.

Attachments

• DSC09311.JPG
    DSC09311.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 4
Nice work Matt. That's about as good as they get. :pint:

MKern wrote:
Here's my sulphur parachute -- killer.

There it is!!!!! Better than described!

What about a sulphur nymph?

Attachments

• sn1.jpg
    sn1.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 3
CDC Sulpher pattern that I use.

Attachments

• 024 compressed.JPG
    024 compressed.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 4
Mine.

H-A -- like it.

Attachments

• Sulphur Nymph.jpg
    Sulphur Nymph.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 4
Is it just me or can a HE rib with copper bee used for a sulfer nymph & a HE parachute be used as a generic emerger ?

yea,

A lot of "small speacies" mayfly nymphs are tied very similar. The easiest way to make it "realistic" is to mimic tails and legs, as well as head color.

Some other mayfly nymphs will look drastically different than the "norm." For instance, my hendrickson nymph is dark brown or black, lighter tails and legs, but has white ostrich gills running latterally on each side, seperated my thread ribbing.

I see MKern. So basically just tweeking a PT or HE can be used to represent other "speechies" of nymphs. As for the subject of this thread (basic sulfer) Many hatch charts i have looked at have listed sulfer this and sulfer that ( Rotundra, Invaria, Dorothea, needhami, etc.) so the original question was something to represent all sulfer adults (dun) ? For the genus of sulfer not the species ?

Pretty much. There are definately differences between the species, but the biggest one is size.

If you look at H-A's nymph and mine they are different, however, I think they are both close enough to teh real thing (in all species) to catch fish; without the fish telling the difference that is.

One of the easiest ways to match specific bugs is to look at a photo and look at the gill placement, tail color, leg color and barring, proportion of thorax to abdomen, leg orientation, tail proportion and body style. Then match dubbing and leg material accordingly.

Well I guess that's not very easy.

For the nymphs, the earlier Invarias (there is no Rotunda anymore - they've been lumped in with the Invarias) have a darker nymph than the later Dorotheas. They're also bigger - sz 12-16, while the little sulphurs are usually sz 18-20. It's not unusual for the nymphs to be a size bigger than the adults as well.

For the adults, as someone mentioned, sz 12-16 for the earlier sulphurs, and sz 18-20 for the later little sulphurs is typical.

Coloration of the adults varies by stream. Some streams have pale yellow early sulphurs, some are more orange. The little sulphurs are often a lemon yellow color. To help offset this, I tie some of my larger adult patterns with beaver dubbing that has both yellow and orange in it (I cheat). ;-)

The good news is, you usually don't have to go nuts with different colors, since color is the least important of the primary triggers (size, shape, color, behavior). Occasionally it does make a difference, but a decent pattern of the right size and shape, combined with a drag free drift will usually produce. A rusty spinner in the right size works nicely for the spinners of all sizes. YMMV.

mkern :
Well I guess that's not very easy

And that is what makes tying awsome.

Sulpher not sulfer......Not the sharpest pencil in the drawer. But seriously to, too, two, tu-tu. - here, hear - be, bee - meat, meet - hare, hair. same word, different meaning by spelling. Is it that big of a deal...

Back