Barbless hooks - SWPA source

MathFish

MathFish

Last year while at the Cabin Fever fly fishing show in Cranberry, I was looking to get some barbless hooks to tie with. I stumbled across a booth - the Competitive Angler and picked up some "Hends" brand barbless hooks to use to tie some egg patterns. The egg pattern is one that I came across that was tied by Tim Flagler called the Antron Egg. I have found this pattern to be effective for both Steelhead and especially newly stocked trout.

I only bought one pack of these Hends hooks (BL 599 size 14) and I used them to tie up 25 Antron Eggs. I was really was pleased with the quality of the hooks and the quality of the hookset I had with them. I have only about 3 or so of these eggs left from this season so I looked up this brand online and came across the Competitive Angler website. I order 8 packs of various sizes and types for tying this winter. They came in the mail Saturday and I was pleased and surprised to see that the company is based out out Latrobe, PA!

The site seems to carry some unique tying materials that I haven't come across at other shops and I must say that I think the Hends hooks are nicely priced at $5.50 a pack (25) - for whatever reason, it seems that most other barbless hooks sell for $9 to $12 for a pack of 25.

If you're considering tying with barbless hooks and want to support a PA business, consider looking into this place.

I'm really looking forward to tying up some nymph patterns with these hooks!

Here's a link to Competitive Angler's page for Hends Hooks:

Hends Barbless Hooks

Looking at the page for dry fly hooks, 1 hook model lists a 1x long but the others do not specify length but those look shorter than the 1x long. Wire thickness is mentioned for each of the dry hooks.

The dry hooks do get a great review from Wisconsin Fly Fisher:

Hends Dry Fly Hooks Review

I'll probably order some next time I buy hooks or look for them at the fly tying show in Somerset.

Thanks for this, they are near my neighborhood!

Albatross, do you know if they have a storefront? I haven't looked into if they do or not, but it would be nice to stop in and see their products if they do... I live about 30 minutes from Latrobe so I'm not too far myself.

Mathfish, there's nothing on their site that indicates a bricks and mortar shop.

I emailed and asked if they have a physical retail front. They said no, but some locals do stop in and browse their wares. Keep in mind it would be organized more like a warehouse than a retail operation. They just ask that you call ahead and make an appointment as they don't keep it staffed all day long. They do list hours and a phone number on their website.

I placed an order yesterday. I'll let you all know my experience.

Thanks for the info albatross!

Back