BWOs

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

If you guys had to pick a favorite BWO pattern to suggest for a newbie tyer like me, what would they be? I just picked up a bunch of materials, so I think I am good in that department. Maybe post a pic or a link? I really want to be ready.

Some more questions, more general in nature:

Do you prefer emergers or dries?

Do you prefer parachutes over standard hackles?

One of my favorite patterns is a foam parachute emerger.

Attachments

• BWO_Biot_foam_Emerger.JPG
    BWO_Biot_foam_Emerger.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 4
Another pattern that I am testing is this one.

Attachments

• Loopty Loop Olive.JPG
    Loopty Loop Olive.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 3
My favorite pattern and from discussion with other anglers on spring creek i consistently catch more trout fishing comparaduns. for a new tyer these would be alot easier to tie than any other pattern as well. all you need is some dun elk hair and dark dun microfibetts and of course olive dubbing. for instruction on tying a comparadun you can visit flyfishersparadise.com, steve has a step by step instructional on tying comparaduns. He also thinks comparaduns outfish any other type of dry, i don't go against what someone that has been flyfishing for 52 years says and who has tied about 500,000 flies. Hope this is helpful. You want them in a size 18 for spring creek right now and a 20-22 for later in the year

Parachute dry or parachute emerger. All you need is dubbing, hackle and z-lon to tie either pattern. Use a biot in place of dubbing for a slimmer body.

Olive emerger

Hook: Size 16-20 curved caddis dry
Dubbing: BWO dubbing of your choice
Trailing shuck: light olive antron
Wing: dun CDC

I don't have a picture, but it is tied a little like this--with an antron shuck tail:
http://www.fish4flies.com/img/flies/Large/T4225CDC%20Black%20Shuttlecock%20Buzzer.jpg

I still prefer standard hackles over parachutes or comparaduns.
But I will try a klinkhammer - which is an emerger pattern - on tough fish that refuse my regular patterns.

The BWO's that hatch in spring are larger - #18.
And the ones that hatch in fall are a #20

jayL wrote:
Olive emerger

Hook: Size 16-20 curved caddis dry
Dubbing: BWO dubbing of your choice
Trailing shuck: light olive antron
Wing: dun CDC

I don't have a picture, but it is tied a little like this--[color=FF0033]with an antron shuck tail:[/color]
http://www.fish4flies.com/img/flies/Large/T4225CDC%20Black%20Shuttlecock%20Buzzer.jpg

I read an article by the creator of the Klinkhammer, Von Klinken, or something like that; anyway he claimed the fly fishes better without a shuck. I tried it that way and sure enough, I think he's right. Maybe the bend of the hook looks like the nymph shuck? Only the fish know for sure. Also I've had my best success with a peacock thorax as in the original. One other thing, w/o a shuck the fly really rides nice (butt down). Give it a try.

Afish - I tie my klinks with just a short, stubby tail at the bottom - usually groundhog fur.
I've kinda wondered also: if the body of fly that extends under the surface is supposed be the shuck, should that part of it be tied brown? I have tied a few that way, but haven't tried them yet

Afish -

I tie my klinks with just a short, stubby tail at the botton - usually groundhog fur.
I've also kinda wondered - if the part of the body that extends down below the waters surface is supposed to imitate the shuck, shouldn't that part be brown then? I have tied a few like that, but haven't tried them yet

The shuck is supposed to represent the shed skin or shell of the nymph. Look in the water during a hatch and you will see hundreds floating by. They're all kind of translucent and because of this, area a light color than the nymph, but when attached, they pretty much look like the nymph itself.

Photos from Troutnut:

Attachments

• picture_46_medium.jpg
    picture_46_medium.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 3
  • picture_193_medium.jpg
    picture_193_medium.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 2
  • picture_194_medium.jpg
    picture_194_medium.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 3
Interesting. Thanks Tom.