Attaching bead heads to fly hooks

mcneishm

mcneishm

One of the more tedious (perhaps "odious"?) tasks for tying the nymphs I use is attaching the bead heads, especially for size 18 hooks. For this winter's tying marathon, I've decided to do what I always thought I ought to do but never did, namely put a lot of bead heads on fly hooks in advance of actually tying the nymphs. Not a half bad idea but putting the bead heads on remains a PITA, especially for fumble fingered me.

My process generally, is thus:

1. Pick up the hook with forceps. Grab it with my thumb and forefinger so that it's oriented correctly to put the bead on.

2. Pick up the bead with forceps making sure it's oriented so that the smaller opening is up so that the point of the hook goes through it first. (Also making sure that (a) you can hold onto the damn thing with your forceps and (b) you don't knock the entire container of 1/16" beads onto the floor. *&$@#&&*%$#@!!!)

3. Put the hook and bead in vise with the head pointed downward just a bit.

4. Wrap a bit (maybe 3-4 turns) of fine lead wire around the hook and push that against the back of the bead so it goes into the larger opening and centers the bead on the hook. This works OK for hooks larger than #18. For #18 hooks, I put several turns of tie thread behind the bead and push that into the opening.

5. Apply head cement. I tried using super glue, which works quite well, but the brand I used became cloudy when it dried and discolored the bead if you got any on it.

6. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

All of this becomes easier the larger the hook and bead but it is a real PITA for #18s and I tie a lot of them. I can do maybe 20-25 in an hour on a good day but by that time I've also lost some quantity of beads onto the floor because they either ejected themselves from my forceps or I knocked all of them on the floor.

OK. So having read this, I'm curious if anyone has solved the tedious nature of this process or if, as I suspect, there is nothing to be done about it and I should just accept my lot in life.

I'm good with my fingers, but if I am struggling or it's a small bead, you can't beat locking bead tweezers.

I saw a rubber mat at fly shop that has divets for beads so they don't roll off bench but can't think of who makes it for the life of me. That wouldn't solve all your problems but you could dump 25-50 onto mat and help eliminate spilling your container or rolling off bench. If I get back to fly shop and see them, I will let you know who makes it or maybe my memory will kick it up a notch...

hbp.jpg

MKern wrote:
I'm good with my fingers, but if I am struggling or it's a small bead, you can't beat locking bead tweezers.
+1 on the bead tweezers. It makes the job ALOT easier.

I put the hook in the vise upside down. Debarb the hook then use small pliers to pick up the bead an put it on the hook the vise holds the hook steadier than I can hold it in a pair of pliers. There just isn't an easy way but this works best for me.

Where might one find "locking bead tweezers"? That's a grand idea but I've never heard of/seen them before this discussion.

mcneishm wrote:
Where might one find "locking bead tweezers"? That's a grand idea but I've never heard of/seen them before this discussion.

Lots of places have them. Here's one:

http://flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=101258

put the bead on your dubbing wax(the sticky stuff )and then just line the hook up free hand

Try putting down a strip of double sided tape (sticky stuff on both sides of tape). Place beads on tape with small hole up. Start hook through bead while on tape. Once started it is easy to pick uo and complet running the hook though the bead provided the barb is flattened enough and the bead is the correct size for the hook size you are using.

Also. bead tweezers available in A.C. Moore, Michaels, Walmart and most craft stores that carry beading supplies. However, try your local fly shop first. I just got a pair of Dr. Slick's from Sierra Trading Post. It was cost effective as I had a larger Christmas order with it. Otherwise, postage on single item would have made a trip to the fly shop worth it.

I tried the double-sided tape method. It worked incredibly well. I was able to put beads on 40+ size 18 hooks in less than an hour. I started out putting the beads on the tape with the small hole up. That works reasonably well but I tended to get some of the tape's adhesive on the hook. To solve the problem, I rotated the beads so that the small hole was to the right. Picked up a hook in the small hemostats I have and easily inserted in the bead without hooking any of the tape. (If you're left handed, you'd probably want the small opening to the left.)

The tape I used is a thicker variety, kind of like strong foam, but it has a bit of give that allows you to push the beads a bit into it so the adhesive holds better.

I still manged to lose two 1/16" beads (out of maybe 75 that I attached) on the floor but that's a far cry from dumping 25 of them.

Back