Applying dry fly treatment

jkilroy

jkilroy

Here's a dumb question, when applying dry fly treatment do you put it on the whole fly or just the hackle/wing? I guess it's also should dry before using?

When I used the gooey floatant, I applied it to all parts of the fly.

But I quickly started dunking the whole fly in liquid floatants.
A better way to do it IMO.

When I use gink I rub it in my fingertips till its clear and liquified, and then rub it in the hackle,wing, and tail, avoiding the dubbing as it darkens it.

For me I like to rub a tiny bit on my fingers and work it into the hackle and tail and then the body of the fly.Less is more IMO.Unless you want a big oil slick on the water.

I use jack's stuff, a permenent all natural fly floatant. rub into all parts

Do you have to wait till it dries to use the fly?

It will not dry. Use it as soon as you apply it. Once you catch a fish, or have a few strikes, you will need to re-treat the fly. I like frog's fanny for that...powdery silicon...takes the moisture right out of the fly.

jkilroy wrote:
Do you have to wait till it dries to use the fly?

I make my own floatant out of mucilin paste and lighter fluid.
I dunk the whole fly in right after I tie it on astream.
And after a few false casts, it's dry.

I have watershed and gink and gink is what I use most of the time.

I apply it on the stream and when the fly gets wet I blow a lot of the water out of it.

watershed must have 24 hours to dry -- and it's not that great anyway.

I am always afraid of spilling powders, so I don't use them.

I was told that there is "frog fanny" type of powder that is sold to bow hunters for their feathers. Supposed to be the same as frog fanny without the fly fishing mark up.

Can anyone verify this?

Jack's you don't have to re apply. Its permanent, fish slime is the only thing that will sink it. Wash it off it the stream and a couple false casts and you are good to go.. After 32 brookies in white water we had a size 16 ausable wulff still floating high and dry...I will have some come spring time, he has to make a new batch..

Frogs fanny or any silica dust is very harmful if you inhale it, which is hard not to on the stream. silica settles in your lungs and you can die from it.

Holy cow...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

Sandfly,

Can you use that stuff to treat CDC? I wouldn't think so. Frogs fanny is the only product I've used with success for CDC. Shake bottles are nice for any other patterns.

I don't see why not when you first use it it will make the cdc wet looking but give it a few false cast and should be ok. I normally don't use cdc cause it doesn't have the oil any more unless you use it fresh from the duck. I use cul de chicken which is treated with water shed.

Sandfly - Is Jacks floatant a thick type that you have to work in with your fingers, or is it liquid? And, is it made by Jack Miskovich? (spelling)

Paul - I remember reading posts about that generic powder on this site a few years ago. Think it's called Cabosil - or something like that

yes its by jack mickevitz, comes as a paste but will go liquid in your fingers or heat.

Use small amount of the Cortland paste rubbed onto fingers and then stroked into the hackle , wing , tail etc. once the fly starts to sink i use the Loon powder to bring it back , use some of the paste on the leader too and the braided connections.

never thought about KY, how does it work beady2 headed ?

/

use deer hair for wings on your flies tied upright. adds a lot more float. fish the fast water. dope up that fly. just like a cork. most of my patterns use deer for wings. any fly---- deer wings. unbeliveable john fave

Back