Anywhere to buy flies around York/Dover?

P

PATroutMan

Brand new to the fly fishing world. Looking to purchase some flies that would work around the South central PA. I know I could go to a store like Dick's or Gander but Im not sure the selection would be as good. Any fly shops/sellers in York county?

I mostly buy online what I can't tie myself. I do patronize local shops when I'm nearby (sparks, MD; boiling springs; etc), but nothing local to York that I know of. I'd recommend theflystop.com. They sell for well under a buck per fly and quality is fine. Also, Mike Heck has some good fly deals now (mike heck trout guide: google it)...he is "local" out of chambersburg area.

If you'd like a fishing partner sometime, PM me. I live near Cousler Park in York.

You could go to Yellow Breeches Outfitters in Boiling Springs or Bass Pro in Harrisburg. Great Feathers fly shop in Sparks, Md is a nice shop and by far the better of the three. Great Feathers is about 30 minutes south of York, just off 83.

Check this place. They *may* have some flies: http://archerygunsfishing.com/ There isn't much around the York/Lancaster area anymore in terms of flies or tying materials.

Hit Yellow Breeches Outfitters - Roland has a pretty good selection (as of two weeks ago). The bonus is you could hit the Run behind the shop to try out your purchase:)

Btw, Gander Mtn in York did away with most of their fly fishing gear a few years ago. When I lived in York 10 years ago, that's where I went for tying supplies & to buy a rod (they had Diamondglass, St. Croix, and Diamondback rods then). Now they have blister packs of shoddy looking flies similar to what you find at Wal Mart.

If you're ever in Hanover check out W.E.Sells on York St. They have a nice selection of flies at good prices.

Dover has a fishing fishing show in January and there are some fly vendors. Perhaps try to make the event next year.

Dover has a fishing fishing show in January and there are some fly vendors. Perhaps try to make the event next year.

Back