Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Alright, I'm giving this tying thing a try!

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Even if your flies don't look like the ones you buy, fish them anyways. You'll get much more satisfaction fishing them and catching fish especially if you're on the water rather than behind the bench. I've caught many fish on crappy looking flies.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 16:38

From A little-known town called Bellefonte
BelAirSteve,

You are at a unique point in your tying right now, because good habits you develop now can lead to the path you take with your tying.

Here's one tip I can give you. Don't think so much about a fly looking right or wrong based on existing patterns and techniques. If you think about it, the "properly" tied flies really don't look too much like the real thing anyway. Whenever I see natural mayfly nymphs I think that it's funny how they look so different than the patterns imitating them. However, I am already too far gone. I wish I could think outside the box more, but certain qualities to achieve have been drilled in my head and I can't get out.

Techniques and tools are good to learn to develop the proper skills, but the best thing you can do is keep an open mind and not get sucked into typing flies how they are supposed to look. Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/11/18 8:49

From Chester County
Great points made by The Dude. Beginning fly tiers often start out by imitating existing fly patterns to match the hatch. After fishing them for a while, many tiers begin to experiment with their own patterns.

One thing that I keep in mind when tying, is what I read by Gary LaFountaine concerning incorporating “triggers’ to attract and convince a fish to hit your fly. Insects, or more broadly any fish food items have unique characteristics that the fish often key on. For example, the color of a bright green caddis larva may be a trigger to convince the fish it is a food item worth sampling, where as with a dull colored insect, the exact color is not really a key or that important. With a stonefly, the prominent legs may be one of the characteristics that trigger a fish, where as a baetis nymph which folds it’s legs tight against it’s body, legs are not a factor in the pattern. A prominent eye on a streamer pattern may be one of the triggers, etc.

The more positive triggers incorporated in the pattern, the more appealing it may be to the fish. If you look at LaFountaine’s fly patterns, many look nothing at all like the natural, but contain certain triggers that attract the fish and convince them to eat it.

Along with the appearance of the insect, behavior or motion can very important in getting a fish to eat your fly. Many times incorporating proper movement is hard to achieve in a pattern and/or very difficult to achieve in a fishing technique. Often super-realistic fly patterns lack this movement to make it seem alive. If super-realistic patterns were the answer to get fish to hit, there would not be thousands of patterns out there that work to fool fish.

As the Dude says, think out of the box when tying. Studying and reading LaFountaine is a good start to change your way of thinking about tying flies. Great subject to ponder.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 10:04

From Gettysburg
I'd add: Don't bother with a whip finishing tool. Learning this procedure is unecessary. Just put a couple half hitches at the head of the fly and finish it with some head cement.

Posted on: 2009/11/18 10:39

From Florida
The best advice I can give is to start, and you have already done that .

I don't think that beginners should feel that they should wait before they start learning how to tie. I took a fly-tying class not too long after I first took up fly fishing. It has helped me a lot in learning about the insects and other foods, that the fish we want to catch eat. I also find tying to be incredibly relaxing.

The only other thing I can think of; when you get ready to start tying hackled dry flies, remember one name - Whiting. Though you may be tempted to go with a cheaper option, you'll be glad you spent the extra $$$.

Posted on: 2009/11/19 9:42

- Ray Bergman

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

goodfortune wrote:
The best advice I can give is to start, and you have already done that .

I don't think that beginners should feel that they should wait before they start learning how to tie. I took a fly-tying class not too long after I first took up fly fishing. It has helped me a lot in learning about the insects and other foods, that the fish we want to catch eat. I also find tying to be incredibly relaxing.

The only other thing I can think of; when you get ready to start tying hackled dry flies, remember one name - Whiting. Though you may be tempted to go with a cheaper option, you'll be glad you spent the extra $$$.

Belair,

I don't know if you've been to backwaterangler.com lately but those guys are offering tying classes right now...

Posted on: 2009/11/19 10:02

From Glenmoore PA
Im going to give this tying thing a try too this winter. I do well learning from books; Im pretty much self taught in fly fishing besides some valuable casting help from OldLefty. I was wandering what books you guys recommend. I would think I need something on tying basics and material properties and some kind of book that gives recipes and intructions on basic flies. Ive searched for books like these and the choices are pretty overwhelming. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Posted on: 2009/12/1 16:44

From Bozeman
The Orvis Fly Tying Guide was what got me started.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 16:55

From Glenmoore PA
Thanks jayl I will have a look at it.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 16:59

From Lehigh Valley
Hi Andy - PM sent.

H.A.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 17:52

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

jayL wrote:
The Orvis Fly Tying Guide was what got me started.

My local fly shop recommended the same book. It's on my Christmas list!

Posted on: 2009/12/1 19:16

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

sundrunk wrote:
Belair,

I don't know if you've been to backwaterangler.com lately but those guys are offering tying classes right now...

Yeah, I saw that. I was out of town for the last one. The other shop near the Gunpowder, Greatfeathers, specializes in tying materials. They have room after room of stuff. The owner and staff are all very serious tiers.

Greatfeathers Website

Posted on: 2009/12/1 19:19

a lot of simple patterns will catch fish: hare's ear nymphs, soft hackles, green weenie, wooly buggers, walt's worms, cress bugs, zebra midges, ants (both wet and dry)... the list goes on. you don't need to tie complex patterns to catch fish. I used to tie much more involved flies (ie. Oliver Edwards) but trout seem to like the simple flies better.

you'll tie some ugly flies for sure, but trout like ugly!

Posted on: 2009/12/4 10:30

From NW PA
Once you get started, and have a little bit of tying under your belt, I strongly urge asking family members (or treating yourself for x-mas or a birthday) for a copy of the Fly Tier's Benchside Reference by Leeson and Schollmeyer ( $63.00 new from Amazon). It has every conceiveable way to make tails, bodies, wings, legs, and other fly parts, and has good color photos. I'd been tying for about 8 years when I got this book, and I use it all the time now.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 10:56

From A little-known town called Bellefonte
I personally could not learn well from books. I missed simple things that came so easily once I watched other people tie a year or two after I started with the books. It reminded me of learning foreign language in high school for three years vs. going to the actual country and learning more in several weeks.

My advice would be instead of books, or in addition to books, watch videos. There is practically an unlimited supply of stuff online. Just look on youtube to start.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 23:57

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com