Al's reverse trico

joeypm

joeypm

Hi all,

I've wanting to tie some of al's reverse tricos... I went to the site and found the little lehigh fly shop web site is gone....Bummer...
Does anyone have the pattern including a picture... pictures realy help me in tying....

thanks in advance,
joeypm

Make the body out of a tapered layer of thread and put a few turns of grizzly hackle at the bend of the hook. It's a super simple tie. Leave a tag on your tippet knot to imitate tails.

I tie them with light thread (female) and darken the body with a marker if the fish are keying on males.

On second look, here is a picture. Not the best, but you get the idea. It's a very quick and easy fly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/backwaterangler/3792521581/

Edit: as in the photo, you can put a little black dubbing under the hackle. Sometimes I bother, sometimes I don't.

I don't use black dubbing, but rather a sharpie.

Clear thread works too. (it's basically mono)

I tie them the traditional way with white thread, chocolate dubbing and one size larger grizzly hackle. Jayl's photo looks like the hackle is cream. I also clip the bottom of the hackle flush with the hook shank.

Here is a link to the picture that was on the LL web page:

AlsTrico

I seem to have lost the ability to post pics.

The description was pretty much what has already been posted:
"Al starts at the eye of a size 24 Mustad #94840 hook and winds 12/0 thread (black for males, white for females) to the bend. He ties in a #22 grizzly hackle. A black thorax is dubbed and tied in over the spear of the hook. Two or three turns of grizzly are wrapped over the thorax and tied off. Winding the thread to the eye and whip finishing it completes the fly."

A very small slightly fuzzy hook.

Al's Trico pic w/ naturals:

Attachments

• Al's Trico.jpg
    Al's Trico.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 2
Just bumping this thread because trico time is just around the corner and this is a very effective pattern.

Great thread, thanks guys.
Miss Al great guy
Boffalo

Back