Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Action Caddis/Performing a Dubbing Whip-Finish

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Here's an original - these actually belonged to A.K.Best. He gave them to me over a decade ago.

Bragging.

Quote:
I used them until they got dull, and then tried to replace the tips - didn't work well after I replaced them, as the screws wouldn't tighten enough to align the shears.

H.A.

Damn Ed, just use some naval jelly to get the rust off and you are good to go!

Bragging? Yeah, I'm really proud of those snips. So proud, I had to dig them out from the bottom of my junk drawer.

Did you just ask me to put jelly on my navel?

Posted on: 2011/11/25 20:26

From Berks County
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
Such as...Picking out dubbing, applying head cement, cleaning out eyes, removing hooks from the vice if they are wet (etc.), whip finishing, punch holes through turkey tails to measure out wingcases/thorax cases, flatten out material, etc. Not trying to sell it to anyone, but I love the wiss thread snips with the bodkin, sharp and cheap :)

Very Nice... I wish I would have seen this before I got mine. I'm guessing I could rig a bodkin on there easily enough though.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 20:35

From Berks County
Quote:

He must be on the hops again...

Posted on: 2011/11/25 20:43

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Here's an original - these actually belonged to A.K.Best. He gave them to me over a decade ago.

Bragging.

Quote:
I used them until they got dull, and then tried to replace the tips - didn't work well after I replaced them, as the screws wouldn't tighten enough to align the shears.

H.A.

Damn Ed, just use some naval jelly to get the rust off and you are good to go!

Bragging? Yeah, I'm really proud of those snips. So proud, I had to dig them out from the bottom of my junk drawer.

Nope. There would be pie implications there.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 22:07

From The great north east
Quote:

zenherper wrote:
Quote:

gaeronf wrote:
Such as...Picking out dubbing, applying head cement, cleaning out eyes, removing hooks from the vice if they are wet (etc.), whip finishing, punch holes through turkey tails to measure out wingcases/thorax cases, flatten out material, etc. Not trying to sell it to anyone, but I love the wiss thread snips with the bodkin, sharp and cheap :)

Very Nice... I wish I would have seen this before I got mine. I'm guessing I could rig a bodkin on there easily enough though.

Its quite easy. Get yourself a darning needle. They are not sharp pointed. This is important because you dont want to impale yourself. Select the right size drill bit, and put a whole in the scissors. Then slide the needle in and super glue it. Let it dry. Then bend the needle up. This is important because it will get it out of the way of many cutting jobs.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 22:55

From Poconos, PA
Those look like a great tool. Anybody have a good source to buy these at a low cost? All i seem to find are knock-offs in the craft store at this time.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 23:40

From Souderton PA
Quote:

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah wrote:
Those look like a great tool. Anybody have a good source to buy these at a low cost? All i seem to find are knock-offs in the craft store at this time.

Wiss is a craft/sewing scissor. A while back I saw them on Amazon for about $10. HA's point about them being bulky to hold with a bobbin is worth keeping in mind. FWIW, I think the sixth finger scissors are a much better option at about $25. I rarely need a bodkin that close at hand, and for a lot of what I would do with a bodkin I just close the scissors and use the point.

Posted on: 2011/11/25 23:53

From The great north east
Remember that the s&m bobbins are bulky. Much more bulky then a an open bobbin. My hands have no problem holding the wiss scissors and bobbin at the same time. Its all tier preference.

Posted on: 2011/11/26 3:11

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com