About to start tying

FishInPhilly

FishInPhilly

Was browsing fly tying kits to get me started, and came about a really cool orvis fly tying kit circa 1978. Just won and paid for the auction. It also included a Thompson Type "A" vise in what looks like a very old box, but all in perfect condition.

The orvis kit is complete with a very nice leather bound "index of orvis fly patterns" and a "Fly tying how to get started" book. the latter is by Eric Leiser if that means anything.

Excited to get started. Should also have the free hooks soon that were provided by risen fly in their "post a comment to enter to win free hooks" thread he did recently.

Attachments

• fly tying kit.JPG
    fly tying kit.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 13
  • vise.JPG
    vise.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 6
  • books.JPG
    books.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 3
I have used that vice for more years then I can remember. I have tied from size 20 flys up to 4/0 saltwater bucktails and teasers on it. I inherited a griffiths vice last thanksgiving and have both vices set up on my tying table. I still use the Thompson for my saltwater needs.

That vice will serve you well. It is a true American classic work horse

Nice!

Fantastic. Thanks for the heads up. I figured the older equipment would be better quality. Very eager to get started. Time to start selling my old hobbies. If anyone wants to buy a trek road bike or a traxxas electric 4x4 let me know haha. I now have plenty to do.

poopdeck wrote:
I have used that vice for more years then I can remember. I have tied from size 20 flys up to 4/0 saltwater bucktails and teasers on it. I inherited a griffiths vice last thanksgiving and have both vices set up on my tying table. I still use the Thompson for my saltwater needs.

That vice will serve you well. It is a true American classic work horse

Nice! Tying your own flies is great. It's cheaper (per fly, though you won't save any money because you'll end up buying way more materials than you'll ever use), you can tie exactly the fly you want, and I find it really rewarding. Since I started tying I find it really hard to enjoy fishing spinning gear. Not that I dislike spinning gear in general, but I just don't have that connection to the lures like I do to the flies I tie myself. Catching a fish on a store bought spinner or spoon feels kind of empty to me compared to catching a fish on a hand tied fly.

The on my own fly prospect is why i decided to give fly tying a shot. This day in age, I think the Automatic nature of things has taken alot away from life that people dont even realize. I guess I'm kind of an old soul in a few ways. I enjoy older music, working with my hands, and creating. I think more about how things work, then allowing things to just work for me. I cant wait to feel that " I tied that fly!" moment. Thanks for the input and encouragement.

jeremymcon wrote:
Nice! Tying your own flies is great. It's cheaper (per fly, though you won't save any money because you'll end up buying way more materials than you'll ever use), you can tie exactly the fly you want, and I find it really rewarding. Since I started tying I find it really hard to enjoy fishing spinning gear. Not that I dislike spinning gear in general, but I just don't have that connection to the lures like I do to the flies I tie myself. Catching a fish on a store bought spinner or spoon feels kind of empty to me compared to catching a fish on a hand tied fly.

That's the selling point for tying your own flies. Get some basic patterns down and then run with it. I like to push the envelope. What can I tie that acts and looks like that old Rapala I use to use. Or maybe a Zara Spook or Jitterbug for top water. Come up with a pattern no ones thought of. Enjoy.

Good luck, i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Where in Philly are you? I live right in center city, south of Washington Ave.
I dont tie many flies for fishing, mostly artsy fartsy stuff....if you need any help, let me know.

Eunan

The Orvis Index of Fly patterns is a good little book with a lot of recipes/pics. . I have this one and also the green book which has even more patterns, fly tying directions, and a saltwater section I believe. I've used them for years and they have been very useful. Good luck

eunanhendron wrote:

I dont tie many flies for fishing, mostly artsy fartsy stuff....if you need any help, let me know.

Eunan

Hah! Eunan I haven't seen many if those artsy fartsy flies on the forum lately...

eunanhendron wrote:

Eunan

Im in far NE. as typical I95 references go somewhere between Academy rd exit and Woodhaven. I'll let you know if i need assistance. I just ordered a bunch of things to add to my stock including some size 22 and 24 hooks and materials to make trico patterns (cdc and poly wing) and some green weenie chenille. and a whip finisher. I watch alot of videos and such. I have to take a couple nights sitting with everything set up and my laptop and play around. I already tied a small fly on a #18 just by being creative, and a streamer with some white unlabeled feather in the kit and a size 10 streamer hook. the streamer looks like a noob tied it, but it was pretty cool to do.

Back