Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 3 wt brookie bugs

From Bozeman
Of course, but when I say "toy", I mean that one chooses to fish it for reasons other than using the best tool for the job, even for brook trout fishing. Given that the 3wt is rarely the best tool for the job, I classify it as a toy.

Having fun is all that matters, so I think one should use whatever suits them best.

But if the question is about fishing as effectively as possible, a 3wt rarely fits the bill. That's all I was saying. I think I'm going to fish mine this week.

All of this is IMO, of course, but I feel I have reasoning to support all of it. I'm not criticizing anyone that chooses to use the lighter rod. I do it now and then too. Just weighing in on the conversation about fishing weighted flies with the 3wt.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 14:58

From SEPA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Of course, but when I say "toy", I mean that one chooses to fish it for reasons other than using the best tool for the job, even for brook trout fishing. Given that the 3wt is rarely the best tool for the job, I classify it as a toy.

Depends on the job. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. :)

Quote:

jayL wrote:
But if the question is about fishing as effectively as possible, a 3wt rarely fits the bill. That's all I was saying. I think I'm going to fish mine this week.

All of this is IMO, of course, but I feel I have reasoning to support all of it. I'm not criticizing anyone that chooses to use the lighter rod. I do it now and then too.

For my idea of fishing, a 5wt is a club, and its not effective. Matter of fact, I'm in the process of picking up a 9' 3wt to be the new regular use rod. Should be perfect for a dry/dropper or a couple of barely weighted wet flies.

I come at things at a direct opposition to where you're coming to it from, but that's fine, because to qoute a forum member, "its just fishin'."

Or was that "its just fish'n?"

Quote:

jayL wrote:
Having fun is all that matters, so I think one should use whatever suits them best.

This is the most important answer. No argument here.

I mean, unless you want to.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:00

thats why i think my 7'6" 4wt is the best small brookie (wild trout ) ditch pole imo

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:28

From Eastern PA
I think Jay has that 3wt response saved in Word and just copies and pastes.

I used a 8' 3wt Winston WT quite a bit over the last couple years. I often found myself slightly under gunned. I found the 8' 4wt to be a much more effective tool. Just a world of difference.

Jay, I really think you will be happier with the 10' 4wt than the 3wt for Euro nymphing, depending upon manufacturer of course.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:31

From SEPA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
I think Jay has that 3wt response saved in Word and just copies and pastes.

He's an Apple man, now.. that's iWork.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:56

i am looking at the cabellas 10' 4wt for nymphing (czn rod ) great reviews on them

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:31

From lancaster county
Im getting the 9' 4wt Hydros to use on larger streams and to use for nymphing.

Never owned a rod this long. Cant wait to test it out.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 23:38

From Johnstown, PA
At the spring jam i showed bikerfish and shakey a rod a deceased friend gave me , there are rods to be used for certain purposes , and there are rods that should just be used for FUN......"TOY" is a good pick for a rod you use just cause it's fun , i want them all to be fun but sometimes , when your serious , function takes the place of fun , oh my "TOY" is a 6 1/2 ft orvis bamboo and it calls for a 5-6wt , its 50 years old they didn't have 3 wts then but i use one on it now , wf3 cortland 333 the FUN is better than FUNction. HAVE FUN!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/11/7 9:40

I guess I'll find out this week how effective a 3 wt is. I was originally going to do a short 4 wt for the 8" brookies, but in hand it felt very similar to my 5 wt (lighter, of course, but not drastically so). This little 3 was just so precise. It's not really about "fighting" the little fish (why do I need to turn a little brook trout into a tarpon?) but about making very short casts feel like casts--if that makes any sense. Yes there is a lot of bow and arrow work and other creative casts (with little or no backcast). But there are also many times when I cast normally, just not very far. Even overlining my 5 wt the thing rarely loads the way I want it to in close quarters.

This will be my most expensive outfit, so I don't love the idea of it being an inefficient "toy." But 90% of my fishing is done on Valley Creek, mountain freestoners, and in the summer on a small local stream for panfish. The 5wt has been a lot of rod for many of these tasks.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 10:13

From Chester County
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Im getting the 9' 4wt Hydros to use on larger streams and to use for nymphing.

Never owned a rod this long. Cant wait to test it out.

Sal,

The Hydros is a nice rod. The mid-flex version would likely be the rod you would prefer. Try 'em all though.....cast away!

Just FYI, the Superfine line that you fish are being replaced by a newer version in the next few months. Whatever is in inventory right now will be sold through. The new SF line still be geared to shorter & lighter rods for small streams.

Good luck with your new rod.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 10:15

Isn't the superfine already geared to smaller streams? Is the taper going to be shorter?

That's kind of annoying--I just ordered the reel/line.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 10:23

From SEPA
I have one Orvis line, the stupidly named Superfine Trout Wonderline Generation 3. I fish it on a Superfine rod.

I love this stuff, and it seems damned near perfect. It sings through the guides and has this really subtle whisper that just sounds wonderful.. I've considered getting more Wonderline for other rods because I've been so satisfied with this stuff. The only downside is the welded loop has kinda opened up, and I think wicked some water into the core.

I do wish I'd have gotten the DT over WF line, though. I've been thinking that alot. I bet next year, I'll regret all these DT lines. Heh.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 10:29

From SEPA
Quote:

Wildfish wrote:
Isn't the superfine already geared to smaller streams? Is the taper going to be shorter?

I know the Superfine rods are being replaced.
I believe the Superfine Wonderlines are too.
I wouldn't worry about it, because the BBS reels are probably not going to change ever, unless its to be cheapened.

The SF rods are mostly fuller flexing, slower actioned rods in shorter lengths. The lines don't really say anything abotu what makes them special, just that they say Superfine, and since the rod says superfine, well hell, ain't that just super and fine, sport? Now pony up for an Orvis ltd reel and a funny hat and get out there and show 'em who's boss, Orvis Fan!!

Seriously, though. I wouldn't sweat it. Enjoy your toy.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 10:35

From Chester County
Quote:

Wildfish wrote;

Wildfish,

The current Superfine line of rods ARE geared for smaller stream fishing featuring shorter rods in lighter weights with more of a full flex (slower) action. The new SF rod line will mirror the current one with rod choices and action. If you just bought a SF, it has been discounted $100. The new line retail cost will likely be more than the current one and will not be discounted.

The bottom line is to buy a rod that casts and fishes well for you and is affordable. HTH. Good luck with your new rig.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 10:37

My mistake--I thought you meant the superfine flyline. I just bought some of that, not a superfine rod.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 10:50

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com