2011 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Mini Jam 12/17/11

Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

As per the posts I made in the Events and General forums, there will be a tying mini-jam held at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center on Saturday 12/17/11 from 1PM to 5PM.

This thread is the place to sign up if you plan on attending.

To bring some semblence of organization to this event, what I'd like the tyers that attend to do, is pick ONE fly that they feel comfortable tying and sharing the recipe and techniques required to tie it. You'll then get to be the "featured tyer" for a few minutes, while you tie that fly, and explain as you go. We'll have plenty of time, so you won't be rushed. Duplicate flies are OK, but the more variety of flies, the better.

It'd be really cool if the tyers could "pre-package" a half dozen kits (materials and a hook for two flies in each) in ziplock bags for folks that'd like to try tying your pattern. This is targeted primarily for any newbies in attendance that don't have tying stuff with them. This is optional, not mandatory, as it could get expensive, and the pattern may not be "newbie friendly". It's your call. If you decide to make up "kits", you'll then be asked to go over to the newbie table, and help the newbies with your pattern.

I'd also like to ask the tyers to donate their selected fly to be raffled off at the end of the day (4:30PM). All proceeds from the raffle will be given to the Nature Center as a donation.

I'll start things off:

H.A. - sulphur comparadun w/newbie kits

trowpa - BHPT - sorry trow, it had to be done. :-D

Im in for a fly tyer. I can do an olive caddis larva. It will demonstrate dubbing natural fur materials, as well as tying a beard on a fly.

H.A. - np - you warned me ahead of time.

yes - I'll be in for tying the classic BHPT.

Edit: I'll include newbie kits as well.

I will tye the Spicy Bwo Nymph. Not sure if I will provide kits.

SBecker wrote:
I will tye the Spicy Bwo Nymph. Not sure if I will provide kits.

Substituting some less expensive materials might be a good idea for that fly if you make up kits (I'll help). That's a really cool looking fly - your Sensei is extremely proud of your tying abilities.

Did I forget to mention that you are running the raffle, as well as being an emergency fill-in for me, in case I get hit by a truck? :lol:

I'm not making any promises of kits because I've gone poor lately, but if you need someone to explain God's OTHER own Dry Fly, the Usual, I'm in.

Newbies aren't powerful enough to learn the Secret of the Royal MF Wulff, though, Plus, I tie mine like ***.

No fears big fella. I'll bring a bunny foot we can carve up, and some extra hooks. You can provide the other materials. ;-)

Oh, I can do that. Maybe. We'll see how nice they are to me....Maybe.. I've definatly got a foot to share, sending them home kits perhaps not so much.

(double post)

Actually look forward to the Usual, and you are right, newbies are not ready for the Royal MF Wulff

i wish i could make it to watch

Why can you not? You have plenty of time to bug your parents.

gfen wrote:
I've definatly got a foot to share, sending them home kits perhaps not so much.

The kits will be for use at the Jam only. The newbies will only be able to use them under the guidance of the tyer that provided them. Any kits that are unused will remain with the tyer that provided them.

If anyone wants to give materials away, that's up to them. I'm going to contact a few local fly shops to see if they'd be willing to donate materials, but I'm not counting on anything. We may get materials donated that don't apply to what we're tying, which is why I came up with the idea of the kits. This is still a work in progress as far as donations go, and probably will be up until 12/17. In all likelihood, most donated materials will wind up in the raffle. That's Sparky's job. Things like thread and hooks might get used, with the remnants going into the raffle. We'll just keep pulling tickets until everything's gone.

You should look into a video camera and projector. I got the video camera. No projector.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
gfen wrote:
I've definatly got a foot to share, sending them home kits perhaps not so much.

The kits will be for use at the Jam only. The newbies will only be able to use them under the guidance of the tyer that provided them. Any kits that are unused will remain with the tyer that provided them.

If anyone wants to give materials away, that's up to them. I'm going to contact a few local fly shops to see if they'd be willing to donate materials, but I'm not counting on anything. We may get materials donated that don't apply to what we're tying, which is why I came up with the idea of the kits. This is still a work in progress as far as donations go, and probably will be up until 12/17. In all likelihood, most donated materials will wind up in the raffle. That's Sparky's job. Things like thread and hooks might get used, with the remnants going into the raffle. We'll just keep pulling tickets until everything's gone.

You insinuating I have a knack for getting things donated?

I will see what I can do.

SBecker wrote:

You insinuating I have a knack for getting things donated?

I will see what I can do.

More than a knack - a gift from god... (actually - your gift is in and of itself ...a donation) - I see an infinite loop here somewhere...

I will try my best to make this Ed since I don't have a set schedule for the next three months I won't be able to commit to anything until two week prior but if I can if you need me to help in anyway let me know .

This sounds like fun, and what better way to meet a bunch of folks I only know online by volunteering to tie a fly in front of them. Heckling is okay, but no throwing rotten tomatoes!
I'll tie a BWO parachute and I'll provide kits. What do you all think about hook sizes? I'm thinking we should use hooks on the large end of the range for visibility and to make things easier on the newbies.
Mike.

Hey everybody. I'm a young'n but I don't consider myself a complete newbie :D I'll talk to my folks and see if I can make it, I'll let you know for sure later. I'm excited! Thanks,

Gaeron

jdaddy wrote:
You should look into a video camera and projector. I got the video camera. No projector.

I think you should have your minions act out via interpretive dance. That, my man, that would be awesome.

Back