Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 1st fly tying class

From Bethlehm
Craft stores for beads and other stuff. If you do a lot of tying, buy your feathers in bulk by the pound or by the yard (strung rooster hackle, etc). I buy mallard, turkey, pheasant, duck quills and other odd feathers in bulk. Much less expensive and you can sell what you don't use on Ebay.

Posted on: 2011/3/20 12:59

From Boonsboro
hook & hackle a great PA store

great online deals..

Posted on: 2011/3/20 23:42

~by Arnold Gingrich, 1969~

From York & Starlight, PA
Theflyshop.com gets you $2.00 off on a box of 100 of their TMC knockoffs. Other than that it is hard to find fly tying stuff at discount pricing. Fly shops can hardly discount the stuff and still make a profit. Give your local shops a break and buy some stuff from them especially if you are going there to pick their brains about tying tips.

IMO hooks and high quality genetic necks and saddles are the most expensive items in fly tying. Consider splitting the cost of a Hoffman, or other, saddle with a buddy. Every year , before I built up my stash, the only reason I would drive 200 miles to the fly show in Somerset was to hand pick full #1 and #2 grade saddles at the show. Then I'd turn them over so the feathers were face down and carefully cut them in half with a razor blade.

We have every color we will ever want and enough high quality #14 - #22 dry fly hackles to last the rest of my life. Remember a high end saddle feather is easily 6" - 8" long and each feather will tie 6 - 10 flies depending on how many turns you make.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 23:28

From Delaware River
My first lesson was with Eric Stroup...that was pretty fun. Here is a good website for hooks just as cheap as allenflyfishing.com but better quality: http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=640&pg=3
Also for beads and stuff you can go here: http://www.fishegear.com/servlet/StoreFront

Posted on: 2011/3/23 22:22

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com